Wierd print output from canon mp980

cgmark

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just put new cartridges in my canon mp980 . The yellow and black had gone dry for about a month, I know that is bad, so I removed the print head and cleaned it with alcohol and distilled water. I flushed the screens where the cartridges connect in the holder. I put a paper towel under the print head and used a syringe to draw ink from a refill bottle and slowly injected some of it into the screen for each color until that color came out on the paper towel. The yellow was really problematic. I had to use a syringe with alcohol to clear it out then flush it again with yellow ink. finally all colors were working. I also cleaned both the purge pads and the tray below as well as the tubing.

Installed and printed a test page, it was bad so I did deep cleaning until it printed fine. Then I did print head alignment and that finished ok. Next I wanted to test a photo print and that is where the problems started. I was just wanting to test the colors so it was set to fast printing and low quality. Below is what it is printing anytime I try to print an image. I have never seen anything like that. Any ideas on how to fix it or what the problem may be ?

From the printer
inkx.jpg

Original in photoshop
originalo.jpg

P

pgobkac

I'm unfamiliar with the MP980. Is it still under warranty? If so, you need to contact Canon yesterday.

If not, did you ever get the problem resolved?

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then" (B. Segar)
... how potentially harmful it is to do anything besides nozzle checks when problems are encountered.

I learned the hard way to rarely if ever do any printing with much less than an as-new nozzle check.

..... and also ..... consider

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Since there's cyan but no green in your printed image, and the original image has lots of green, I'd say your yellow isn't working. There may be problems with other colors.

Print a nozzle check and post the image. Only print nozzle checks for now until you understand the problem better or it is resolved.

What are your new cartridges - all brand new OEM Canon cartridges? If not, explain what they are exactly.