Why shouldnt I sell the new OEM chipped carts if I refill?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
websnail said:
Didn't someone have a much more refined adaptor for purging the CLI-8 cartridges somewhere?!!.. I can't find it for the life of me
Here's my purging unit made with parts from Hope Depot:

1) 3/8" inner diameter clear vinyl tubing (outer diameter 1/2"), 3
feet ~$1.00 worth.

2) One Sweeper Nozzle, Model 56171 at Home Depot, $2.97 (similar to
but with some plastic: http://lawn-garden.gillroys. com/Hoses_ &_Sprinklers/ Hose_Nozzles/ BRASS_SWEEPER_ NOZZLE-s761223.html) . This screws onto my utility sink's threaded fawcet like a typical garden hose would.

3) One Hose Clamp 7/32" to 5/8" to secure #1 to #2.

4) 2mm hole drilled into the top of the spongeless area next to the edge of the decal (near where the ball is located) to let the purge water out.

The flexible tubing easily fit around the exit port of the cartridge. Warm water washed the sponge/cartridge clean in well under one minute.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
actually I was thinking of a different unit someone made that had an elastic band wrapped that would hold the cartridge in place as well as a big rubber grommet or washer that sealed around the exit port... I just can't find the blasted thing... :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Grandad35 said:
Of course... why the heck didn't I think of that... Still not the one I was thinking of but because I can't find the pic I can't help you find it... Catch 22 anyone? :D

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Stratman,

Thanks for your purge details.

Wondered if you had some photos of your purge setup which you could post?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jru said:
Stratman,

Wondered if you had some photos of your purge setup which you could post?
Sorry, I do not.

It is a very simple rig that uses 3 parts. One needs a threaded faucet that would accept a garden hose. Someone in the forum was using their outdoor faucet for purging. I think they lived in the Southwest, so it was warm all year round for them. I'm fortunate to have a threaded faucet in my basement sink that accepts garden hose sized attachments.

The vinyl tubing snugly fits over the ink exit port on the cartridge. It stays on even without holding it steady under appropriate water pressure. It will come off if you turn up the water pressure too high. You can secure the tubing with one hand if you like. I have not had a problem with mess or stains... yet!

The vinyl tubing is pliable. I bought Watts Clear Vinyl Tubing, 1/2 inch Outer Diameter X 3/8 inch Inner Diameter, #42143620, made in Taiwan, purchased at Home Depot. If the tubing becomes stretched out or non-compliant, I can snip off a couple of inches. I have purged several cartridges over two sessions a few weeks apart and the original set-up worked perfectly each time without the need to cut off any tubing.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Guys,

Can somebody show me a picture how to purge a BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk, since these cartridges need a purge much more often than those BCI-6/CLI-8 carts......?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pharmacist said:
Hi Guys,

Can somebody show me a picture how to purge a BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk, since these cartridges need a purge much more often than those BCI-6/CLI-8 carts......?
Grandad35's page on this process has pictures and video clips: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/canon-BCI-6-cartridges.php The process is the same from all I've read.

Did you hear differently on how to handle the pigmented ink cartridges?