Why is HP the ONLY manufacturer to allow internet printing??

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
HP printers - most new ones will print directly from the internet
Awesome - absolutely damn awesome

Why isn't anyone one else doing this??
Why isn't Canon doing??

They had some geniuses design the whole process
The operating system and setup of the printers are awesome
There are some really nice subtle things - like for the printer calibration - it prints a per and gets you to scan this in - from this scan it judges itself if everything is OK
How kewl is that!!! :)

I now love HP
Except... well there is this small tiny weeny thing
Not sure if it's a big thing that matters...
The problem: the damn clunky loud and crappy printer :(

The things is - HP have had ePrinting out for nearly 3 years now!!
Why hasn't anyone one else seen the light??

Would be great to hear what others say

Omar

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Patents, simply patents. It's the same reason why Canon printers in the US can't print on CD's even though everywhere else in the world they can. Epson has the stranglehold on those patents, HP I believe can print on CD's because they're willing to pay royalties.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it's awesome, printing results in a physical, material output and therefore makes sense only when in relative proximity to the user. Set your LAN well and you won't need the Internet. Printing over the Internet presents security challenges and HP is known to have issues there.

And you can always use a VPN to print securely over the Internet. Any simple USB printer will do.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
qwertydude said:
Patents, simply patents. It's the same reason why Canon printers in the US can't print on CD's even though everywhere else in the world they can. Epson has the stranglehold on those patents, HP I believe can print on CD's because they're willing to pay royalties.
patents!!!? and that's what's stopping other companies?? no way!
that sucks
i know a heck of a lot about the patent process - that's another story

imho patents stifle human kind from going forward
yes: on one hand, someone does years of work and discovers or creates something amazing - it's not fair for someone else to simply think, hey, i'll just copy and thereby profit
but then: it stop others from doing things that might be super useful and even more creative - and allow other companies to produce solutions that the first company would never ever dream of
hp is a perfect example of this: their printers suck - noisy and damn clunky - i would go near one with a barge pole (if they didnt have the internet printing facility)
hp have a done a great job i think revolutionising the setup process (which could still be improved) - but the end product is soooo bad

regardless... for my specific needs - i actually need cluncky and loud printers. and the print quality is of no bother at all
as long as the internet connection is fine - that's all that matters - for that part... i have to wait and see

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
panos said:
I don't think it's awesome, printing results in a physical, material output and therefore makes sense only when in relative proximity to the user. Set your LAN well and you won't need the Internet. Printing over the Internet presents security challenges and HP is known to have issues there.

And you can always use a VPN to print securely over the Internet. Any simple USB printer will do.
i completely disagree
i think u might be missing a few fundamentals here
no driver or anything else needed - just start up and you can print - just email to the machine
no problems with OS or device setup programs - all of that is taken away

LAN?? yes i understand - for some that's ok
but for other not ok - and i would argue that the others are the bigger majority
setting up on a lan - to me and u - it's just a case of following simple instructions and clicking on buttons and typing in one or 2 details
for others this is a huge daunting and impossible task!
+ then u have the maintenance problem - when something goes wrong once in a while, u have to solve - not the same problem with the hp

i would add that for my needs, i do need an internet printing solution - i need to be able send print jobs over the internet

i've searched and searched for print server routers and haven't found anything that is suitable
but now that i have discovered hp printers, i won't go back - the cost of a damn print sever (if i could find one that fits my needs) is MORE than a hp printer itself!

security challenges???
wtf! that is crazy - how could hp allow a flaw like that???
something to be worried about and consider - thanks for that link
i'll keep on using - but will no doubt have to keep this factor in mind

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OK guys enlighten me why would anybody want or need to print from the Internet.
I am sorry for asking but I am completely clueless on this, I just dont get it.:idunno
Maybe someone could come up with a logical and reasonable answer
then break it to me gently before the men in the white coats arrive.. :ya :weee

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Hat said:
OK guys enlighten me why would anybody want or need to print from the Internet.
I am sorry for asking but I am completely clueless on this, I just dont get it.:idunno
Maybe someone could come up with a logical and reasonable answer
then break it to me gently before the men in the white coats arrive.. :ya :weee
i think u should sit down before reading the following - and don't read if u are a nervous wreck
lol

no printer drivers needed! no need to install!! just turn the printer on (and got through a really simple setup process)!
(an average canon takes 30 min to install in my experience)
just print anything and everything by emailing to an address!!
high quality photos (upto 5mp) (ok, whether or not u get high quality prints from hp rubbish printers - thats another opinion)
from from ANY machine u have - mac, pc, linux, iphone, android - anything!!

is that not a compelling reason?

EDIT: i'd also add that u can also setup drivers on ur pc to print directly as well

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
OM2 said:
is that not a compelling reason?
In a word, no.

But I support your desire to want to print from the internet. Have at it, OM2.