Why is Epson image quality distinctly inferior to HP?

Brian Raila

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 8600
I have compared 2 brand-new out-of-the-box printers, and am surprised at the degree of difference. The two are HP 7740, and Epson WF-7820. Original 'setup' cartridges. The paper is a Hammermill 20#, 96 Brightness. 300 dpi.

The original image (300 ppi) is shown above the printed results shown side-by-side, in the attached Original Image, above scan of HP 7740 print beside Epson WF-7820 print.pdf.

The printouts were scanned, 300 ppi, side-by-side on the Epson 11x17" flatbed.

I expect, of course, some disparity between the original and the print. The HP yielded about what I'd expected. The Epson was so different, that I initially figured I'd somehow goofed a basic setting.

A scan of the prints is somewhat deficient as a means of comparison, but their relative traits as seen in the scan are a fair comparison of what appears on paper.

The HP print is very slightly 'faded' from the vibrancy of the original, but the chroma/hue/brightness/contrast are faithful within that consideration.

The Epson print: On the top 1/4 of the page, It doesn't even look like the same shade of green. Most disturbing of all is the gray rectangle, mid-page, surrounding the blue-rectangle titles "Investment Calculator, Average Return Calculator, ROI Calculator".

Viewed by the eye, the distinction between the two, vis-a-vis the gray, is even more pronounced than in the attached scan. Though that gray is quite light to start with, on the HP it appears as distinctly a visible element of the design. On a casual glance at the Epson, the gray rectangle seems altogether absent, i.e., it is only apparent when deliberately 'looking for it'.

The original document's red title label and its box – 'Exhibit YYY' – is distinctly faded on the Epson.

I welcome comment on this difference. I do not expect identical output across printers, but it's as if the Epson is holding back on ink volume (the relative chroma/hue are appropriate). The ink volume on text is so meager as to be nearly unreadable – i.e., in Chart of "Initial investment" $25K, and $20K, etc.

It's as if one need tweak a setting on the Epson: 'Adjust saturation and brightness'. Or some sort of whacky 'Disable Ink-Saver Mode'.

Am I overlooking something?

Is this related to Epson's self-touted "Heat-free Technology"? I thought that didn't pertain to inkjet.

Is there any test procedure I ought run? I'm deliberately avoiding Firmware Upgrade, so as to not invalidate third-party cartridges, going forward.

– – –

For amusement, in the "Can't win for trying" department, you should see the result of the HP scanner (also 300 ppi). That evasive gray rectangle just plain disappears, from both. And the Chart of "Initial investment" $25K, and $20K, on the Epson print, becomes illegible. See attached HP 7740 print beside Epson WF-7820 print [scanned on HP].pdf.

Timely comments are welcomed, as one of these two must soon be returned.

Many thanks,

BR

Attachments

• Original Image, above scan of HP 7740 print beside Epson WF-7820 print.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 18
  • HP 7740 print beside Epson WF-7820 print [scanned on HP].pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 17