Why Individual Inks ?

matthare2k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a new printer, possibly a HP Photosmart 8250, I have noticed that this printer and a fair few on the market have like 5 individual color inks plus a black cartridge.

whats the idea behind the individual color inks ? does it mean each time new need cartridge would have to but all 5 color ones or some of them ??

i think ive heard that the individual color inks are like around 7 a piece.

would be grateful for all your ideas and knowledge on this issue,ta

matt

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To matthare2k,

The advantage of cartridges with just one color ink in the cartridge is that when it runs out you replace just that color.----but a conventional tri-color cartridge may have just one color run out---with a considerable amnount of the other color inks remaining--but since one ink color is gone--you throw the whole cartridge away---with no way to recover the good ink you paids big bucks for unless you refill.

What I don't like about the HP 8250 is the very small amount of ink you get in the color cartridges---as little as 3 ml if memory serves me right.---but most are more like 5 and 7 ml.

gean

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi matthare2k,

FOr what it worth, I don't like paying for ink. I have used canon printer for over 10 years. I feel that are the cheepest to operate....even tho they are ripping you off for ink. With that said i will give you a few thing to think about. First when you print a photo with a canon printer when it comes out of the printer it dry!, not so with epson, hp, or lexmark. Note lexmark and epson don't even tell you how much ink isin there cartriges (as far as i know, havn't check for a while) If you touch the photo from epson, lexmark and hp they will smear. As mention in the other post with tri color cartriges if you run out of one color you throw the rest away......thus the price of ink goes even higher. I also feel the the straight through path for the paper is better.....especially for photos. Canon will also had duplux printing as far as i know. They will print both text and photo, unless you get a deciated photo printer.

One last thing before yoy buy one (whoever you get got to a bestbuy, circuit city, office max, ect and check it out) Check out the difference between a canon 4 and 5 cartrige printer (i know more expence when buying cartirges) but the five color prints are better. Compair them side by side....the same print you will see that the 5 color printer has photo black which brighten up the black in a photo and make it look better. Now they all have pict-bridge for photo printing, i believe.

for what it worth

gean