Why does my HP Officejet 6500 printer head keep clogging?

mike_day

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The black ink printer head keeps getting gooey with black ink, right at the copper face. The color "matrix" stays clean.

I rinse off the printer head and it runs fine for a day but a day or 2 later the next time I want to print, the head is gooey again. No black ink onto the page at all. It's just a rectangle of black ink on the print head.

I'm using printer ink I got off E-bay. Ink doesn't look any different than the 5 refill bottles I bought from the same supplier before.

Thanks for any help. I suppose I could try a different ink supplier. But I figured I'd ask before doing that.

I'm using 920 XL cartridges by the way.

Thanks!

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
color inks are dye based in that they dissolve in water. black ink is pigmented and the solvent they use has glycol in it which sheds water. a good comparison would be water color paints - they dissolve in water but oil based house paint doesn't dissolve in water even though they used the same dyes as color.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
hi
try put printerhead in half hot water for one day but try not touch electronic contacts and lets it dry well maybe you need also one day.
if you can use air duster for black hole in printhead to let ink prticles fly from it.

mike_day said:
I rinse off the printer head and it runs fine for a day but a day or 2 later the next time I want to print, the head is gooey again. No black ink onto the page at all. It's just a rectangle of black ink on the print head
I'm using printer ink I got off E-bay. Ink doesn't look any different than the 5 refill bottles I bought from the same supplier before.
then the problem in ink you used its clogged your printerhead so you must find another kind of ink maybe but not sure like WJ-1010 or WJ-1020.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Maybe you overfilled the cartridge and it's leaking. Try taking it out and see if it drips.

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What I have tried and it works is to put the print head into a regular coffee cup and add just enough of windex to cover the foil surface of the print head. put the cup into about 1 inch of boiling water on a stove and let the thing boil away for about fifteen minutes. Remove the head and dry it off with lint free paper towels. Run a few clean cycles and do a test page. This usually un gums the head. FYI when the nozzles fire they have about 48 volts applied to them to expel a droplet of ink. I have used this method on a color cartridge for a hp all in one that was on the shelf for 6 months. I got another 6 months of use before I needed to buy another ink cartridge. I have two canon printers and all I use are continuous ink systems in both, that way I'm not continually removing the cartridges from the print holder carriage.

mike_day

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Problem went away. I must have overfilled!