Why does ink dry up on HP92 refills so easy.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Based on the data that Grandad has pointed us too, my guess that HP knows what they're doing appears correct. If you look at the offerings that Canon has introduced in the market in the last two years, I suspect the greatest impact has been the offering of the integrated cartridge market, mimicking HPs direction. I would suspect that sales of the standalone printers are down just like Epson's numbers. The 13- 15 cents prints do make a lot of sense to many consumers. This direction Canon has taken will eventually lead them to follow the 2ml cartridge just like HP, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they already have introduced it or are about to. Time will tell as it always has.

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Very informative indeed Grandad35, but I think HP will have a hard time competing with the other printer producers, according to the printers on sale in the stores, Epson and Canon are running head to head whereas Hp concentrates more on selling personal computers, (I always visit the computer stores and see what is new). The reason behind that people buying HP printers or psc is because HP bundle their printers with the sale of their computers. You either get an hp printer for free or for an extra $30 you get a $120 worth of hp PSC if you buy a HP computer, same gimmick as they do with Lexmark printers some while ago. Now I see a lot of Lexmark printers in the dump when they find buying a new cartridge cost more than a new printer. I also see Brother selling 6 in one's for around $100 and people buy them because it is cheap, but wait till they find what kind of machine it is after one or two sets of cartridges. Just visit the forums about Brother printers. By the way, people told me that the Brother printers use up all the black and color inks although they only print in black. Mostly fax printouts. I guess the printer uses all four colors for cleaning routine every time the printer is turned on so people have to buy more ink cartridges, what a rip-off, I guess same thing happens with Epson.
I personally would never advice anyone buying an Hp printer or Psc, the shinny gray case and compact shape do give people an impression of an expensive piece of equipment, but after using it, cannot come close against an Epson or Canon of the same price. The 3180 I got was sold to me because that person bought 2 computers and ended up with 2 3180s, I bought it for $60 new. and I am not happy with it. I have people giving me empty 92s for the printer, and refill them is a pain. I knew it only holds 5ml, but I would not dare to use it to print photos since it can dry up anytime in the middle of printing. And the color 93 is even harder to refill properly, Grandad35, can you share with us how you refill the 92s and do you have the drying print head problems?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
ltsang said:
snip can you share with us how you refill the 92s and do you have the drying print head problems?
I don't refill any HP or Epson carts at this time. I used to refill HP 56/57/58 carts (HP 5550 printer), but their low capacity pushed me to do some research on a photo printer that had individual carts and a larger ink capacity. This led to Neil's site and this forum and to the decision to buy an i9900.

Storage clips for the 56/57/58 carts (http://216.219.159.185/tools.html#anchor11607) helped to prevent drying on refilled carts, bit no clips are listed for 92's. Maybe someone else has a source for these clips.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It didn't take too long to notice that Canon has also introduced a smaller integrated cartridge early this year. They now have a PG-30 and CL-31. They definitely seem to be following the path HP has taken. So now you have three sizes in Canon integrated head cartridges. PG-50,40,30 and CL51,41,31. My thoughts are that the PG-50 probably has the same capacity as the HP 56. The PG 40 slightly less and maybe the PG30 is mimicking the 92.
Maybe someone cal tell us for sure what the capacities are.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up guys, having both reliable Epson and HP printers, I feel not so I made the wrong decision to purchace them.

I can relate a lot of information I gather here to personal experiance. I don't know if I am game enough to fill an ink tank with Windex just yet, probably let need dictate.

I am still after a method to reset my waste tank message when it comes, the SCC software does not cover my RX530. This is probably giving you all a pain but you know what they say about a squeaky wheel.

primusSPA

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
does hp printer also has a big sponge(waste ink sponge) inside the printer just like the canon printers?so if hp printer does not have the waste ink tank full problem then if people use the hp printer for a long time the ink will actually leak out without a warning?

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
good question, I never have a problem like waste ink tank full in any of my hp printers so far, one of them is the hp photo smart 7380 which must be over 5 years, I never have to worry about this problem, I never bother to open the case to look underneath. I do think it must have a waste ink holder of some kind to hold the waste ink. However, hp cartridges hold so little ink that by the time one cleans the cartridge, most of the waste ink will evaporate before it leaks from the bottom. Just guest, hope some one comes up with a better answer.

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hi primusSPA:
I did look into the hp printers and yes they also have a waste ink pad, except that they just put a pad under where the cartridges are parked and it collects all the waste ink from head cleaning. I can see dried ink piled up like a little hill and it just sit and dried up like a lump of gum. But it does not stop one from printing and no error messages indicating wasting tank is full. I like it better this way, I don't care if waste ink comes out from the bottom of the printer but don't stop the printer from working. I can always do the clean up myself instead of buying another printer. I personally think that the 'waste ink tank full' is just another gimmick Epson and Canon make consumer to buy another new printer.