Why do my Canon PIXMA's photo prints suck?

zhenochs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score

I have Canon PIXMA iP 3000. It has raving reviews all over the web. However, for me photoprinting was not so good. Problems:
- it needs head removal / compressed air cleaning before it prints photos of bearable quality.
- after some 5-10 4x6 photos the quality gets really bad: the image is all dotted like a microsponge
- teh ink runs out freakingly fast. On average I think I spend 3 tanks (one of each color) on about 20 4x6 photos.

Any idea if this is something I can fix or should I just through it away (or maybe play the scanner scene from Office Space) and buy a new one?
Thanks

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have one of these, and while it's not Canon's best photo printer, it does give decent results. You did not mention if you are using Canon Inks.

Also, on any setting other than plain paper, your printer is using the 3 colour cartridges to print all colours - even black. This might explain why you run out of ink frequently if printing colour photos, especially dark ones.

You might have a problematic print head. After 1 year with this printer, I've only had to do 1 head cleaning. I'd call or e-mail Canon tech support if I were you..they might just replace the print head, since it sounds like your printer is still under warranty.You shouldn't be having this problem.

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
"Why do my Canon PIXMA's photo prints suck?"

Probably because your printer sucks? hahaha.... jk.... no... I also have one too. It's a "OK" printer for photo printing...but definately not the best for it. I use it mainly for color printing on plain paper and photo paper here and there...and used cheapo ink carts for $1.00 a piece from www.summitimage.com.... but warn you...my IP 3000 is now dead for now (the head at least, going to order another head soon $60). The Black Pigment section was the problem...would not print anymore....but that was after 400 4x6 photos though...so printer only lasted several monthes...was actually still under warranty...but I screwed with it on my own and therefore VOIDED it! : ) but who cares..the printer was free with Canon digicam purcahse. from my conclusions...i don't think the cheap ink did the black portion in... i think the "gasket" in the print head assembly gave out..and leaked past it and did not go to the nozzles anymore. We did use it to print quite a bit in a short amount of time...so maybe that is just what happened to it.

descent printer though..especailly for low running cost when using cheap carts or refilling or a bulk feed system. becasue it only has 4 colors (CMYK) opposed to adiotnal colors for better photo quality printing found in the higher models. but I am not that concerned about super high photo quality right now.

so back to using my old Canon S600...still going strong..and tons older than the 3000...so go figure? I use the same cheap carts also. currently printing 300 wedding invitations (along with all the envelo0pes and other crap also... 300 x 6 or so.) this printer has really let me down....just doens't do borderless printing and also a little slower. but also a CMYK (4 color printer also = low running cost!)

if your head goes... here's some long reading that may or NOT help:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=241

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I also have an ip3000-- and 4 i960s.

I use the 6 color printers for anything important, but the ip3000 is much faster for plain paper, or prints with large areas of white.

zhenochs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I tried all Canon inks combines with Canon paper. E
n vain. After cleaning 1st 4x6 print is OK, the following prints look like the image below.
Can anyone diagnose what's up by looking at the scan below? The window on the right shows it best.
Thanks a lot!

pixma_print.jpg

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
It may be a printer setup problem. Have you tried setting custom print quality to Fine and Halftoning to Diffusion?

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
you must be using photo paper that doesn't work well with canon's. some photopaper has a more plastic feel to it and doesn't take the ink very well...so in dark heavy areas it mottles up and also doesn't dry quickly. try genuine canon photo paper and you should see a huge difference...and then try photo papers similar to it...i.e. epson photo paper. or evn cheap STAPLES photo paper i have found works nice.

billie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
For a high speed printer like IP3000, we can't expect a perfect printing quality especially when you print photos. Except the points the upstairs mentioned, i guess maybe it depends on ink quality. Which inks do you use for daily printing? OEM inks? compatibles? refilling?

zhenochs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I thought that it could have been ink or paper. And I couphed up almost $50 on genuine Canon inks and used genuine Photo Paper Plus. Result is the same.

digitalartist71 is right, the ink does not dry quickly on these prints.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
zenochs said "After cleaning 1st 4x6 print is OK, the following prints look like the image below"

I don't know what is causing the problem, but If the first print is ok, but subsequent prints are bad, would that not eliminate printer settings, ink and paper as culprits?