which printers use unchipped cartridges?

Danl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Excuse me if this is well discussed, but at least a link would be handy.

I do just B&W printing (mostly text), and have been refilling my own cartridges for many years. I figure I pay about 40 cents per refill, and routinely use cartridges for several years, and dozens of reams of paper from each one. Given that, I'm not really interested in a laser printer. My per-page costs are miniscule. I've had much success with Canon, and have been using an MP280 (PG-210 cartridges) for a few years. Of course, the trick to economizing here is using unchipped cartridges, which the MP-210 are. Now, I'm not in the market for a new printer right now, but I was just curious if there is some handy list of which printers use unchipped (and presumably refillable) cartridges. Does Canon still market any? I've heard that Brother cartridges aren't chipped.

A list. Where's a list? There must be a list! I suspect many printer manufacturers don't want there to be such a list.

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I cannot determine if this is complete.....

Canon S800, S820, S900, BJC-8200, BJC-8200, BJC-S9000, I560, I900D, I9100, I950, I960, PIXMA IP3000, PIXMA IP4000, PIXMA IP5000, PIXMA IP8500.....

Most of the listed printers use BCI-3eBK and various combinations of BCI-6 carts(no chips).

All have been out of production for many years.

Craigslist is likely you best resource for finding any of the above.....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The simple answer to your question is no, there is no list of old printers which uses un-chipped cartridges,
except the one that slocumeddie has provided for you above.

Most guys have moved onto using chipped cartridges which works extremely well
with the right setup and are not as inconvenient as first taught.

Youre alternative to get a Canon printer that uses clear large chipped cartridges
which can and will last for years if looked after as most refiller usually do.

If you are refilling the same 210 opaque cartridge for years you must have some secrets
because that is not an easy thing to do.:hu

Happy refilling.. :)

Danl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was actually looking for a list of NEW printers that use unchipped cartridges. But I gather there are none? Hmm.

Most guys have moved on to using chipped cartridges that work extremely well? I have to assume that's because they reset the chips, because you can be sure that if they can't reset the chips nothing will work extremely well! What's the "right setup" for them? If one were to recommend a new printer with easily resettable chips, and easy cartridge refilling, which one would that be?

Yes, I keep a log of refills, and I've refilled the same cartridge 21 times since the summer of 2011. Once or twice I've refilled after it has run out, and it takes a few cleaning cycles to get it resurrected. But I never have any trouble when I don't let the cartridge run out. Pretty much the same with the printer I had for many rears before this one. I'm lucky, I guess.

It is, in fact, an easy thing to do to refill. It takes me less than ten minutes to refill, actually. Always has.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Canon shifted to the first generation of printers with chipped carts and ultimately phased out production/distribution of printers with unchipped carts. The first generation of chipped cartridges are the cli-8's (single color) as well as the larger black pigmented ink carts and a tri-color cart. Resetters are very inexpensive, and refilling is exactly the same as the unchipped ones. The printers in this series are built well. Getting into the next series, the build is not quite as good from what I've read, but if the first chipped series isn't available the next series works well. If you live where there is a Craigs list I'd suggest that you start following the local listings for canon printers. You may come up with an unchipped model, but more likely, you will find one of the first chipped generation printers. If the price is right I'd suggest that you buy one and use it minimally to keep the printhead working properly while you continue to use your present printer. The longer you wait, the more likely the best used printers will not be available.

You need to be very cautious - be sure you can test it before buying. I never buy a printer when it is advertised with one or more empty cartridges, and I stay away from printer that have aftermarket prefilled carts. If someone has been refilling I don't know what their skill level is as poor refilling techinque can destroy printheads. All of that said, I've bought a new, factory sealed ip 4200 that a friend needed, two ip4300's one of which I gave my granddaughtet and one I put in storage as a backup for her, and an ip 4500 that I stored after cleaning the printhead. All of these were barely used, had only OEM carts in them, after a cleaning cycle worked absolutely perfectly, and were priced right. Take your time, be very selective and you will have the next several years of printing taken care of.

kraziladi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
So sorry I can't figure out Where to exactly ask my question but I'm wondering if it PIXMA 226 cartridges and I accidentally bought 221 cartridges and they fit the same but they don't turn the red light on is anybody out there that can help me, And I was wondering when your computer turns on the low ink warning and continuing to use the print cartridges could really damage your printer warning, does really mean that I need to change the cartridges right away or how many prints would I be able to do after that warning came on

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
kraziladi said:
So sorry I can't figure out Where to exactly ask my question but I'm wondering if it PIXMA 226 cartridges and I accidentally bought 221 cartridges and they fit the same but they don't turn the red light on is anybody out there that can help me, And I was wondering when your computer turns on the low ink warning and continuing to use the print cartridges could really damage your printer warning, does really mean that I need to change the cartridges right away or how many prints would I be able to do after that warning came on
The 221 cartridge will most definitely work in your printer but first
You need to swap the chip from the empty cartridge to this new 221 one for your printer to accept it.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631

When you get the on screen warning (Yellow triangle) on one of your cartridges it is safe to continue to use that cartridge
till you later get the final warning notice (Out of ink), then replace the cartridge.. :)