Which Printer to buy

lffoar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS6360a
Hi all......again :frow
I've been reading some of the posts here for interest and maybe learn some things and I got to thinking about another printer and would like some input on the best/cheapest Canon for my requirements. I'm going to print less these days as my Grand kids will be doing do most of it for me......I might do say 10 sheets a week and occasionaly a big mob at once.
An inkjet is probably the one I should go for?
Multiple 5 - 6 tank type as I want to buy after market cartridges to cut costs.
Scan and copy also.
Don't need to do letters, photos or any fancy stuff (Grand kids again).
Definitely a Canon as they have treated me well in the past.
What is the consensus on the best cheapie available in Australia meeting these requirements?
TIA :caf
Harry

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What is the consensus on the best cheapie available in Australia meeting these requirements?
The Canon MX726 was a good Auld printer in its day, and a good replacement that I could recommend would be the Maxify, it’s got all the essentials that you requested and more, there are several models to choose from so don’t rush in and get the first thing that comes to hand.

It has bigger carts than you are use too, and other models have even bigger ones again, the OEM carts can be refilled with 3rd part inks or in my case OEM bottle ink (A little dearer), it can go ages without printing and seldom clogs up , plus it is quite fast at spitting out sheets, it’s now the really go to printer from Canon for reliability..

There are even ARC chips available, but this printer will still work with ink monitoring disabled, and if you run out of ink by mistake the printer will still warn you, and I know you said you don’t require photos but it can do a reasonable job with them too..
There’s no such thing as a free dinner, so you’ll have to pay for quality..
The best thing that can be said about the Maxify is… It just works, and no messing around with issues..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ink monitoring disabled, and if you run out of ink by mistake the printer will still warn you
This has happened to you? You have disabled ink level monitoring, a cartridge runs out of ink and the printer stops and warns you?

What is the warning?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
It happened to me once. I hadn't disabled ink monitoring but the chip was out of sync. with the real amount of ink inside the cart. An error appeared on screen (I don't recall the number). No explanation of the causes or the way to fix it. I had to figure out what happened and replace or refill the cart to get the machine working again..

Back to the topic, given the low number of pages that @Iffoar intends to print, possibly a basic model with scanner/copy capabilities would do well for his needs. Ink will be more expensive per/ml than a Maxify but the money saved in the cost of the printer ( say the equivalent in AU$ of 100 euros or so ), it’s enough for printing a few thousands of pages with third party cartridges. Now, if he (or it’s she? ) printed more than 5-10K pages/year that would a totally different story.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It happened to me once.
You don't know what happened to you. Strange but indeterminate. Not enough to support The Hat's statement and he's not replied. Let us know when you have something more than vapor.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It did happen to @Artur5 so it’s not just vapour, it’s fact and until it happens to you, then keep you power dry till then.. :th

P.S. it comes up like a 1684 error or something similar, which relates to detecting insufficient ink flow in the print head..

lffoar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS6360a
Thanks for the advice guys :D
Had a look at the Maxfly models........for what I wanted a bit dear. A cheaper model which may not last is probably the way to go unless I save some pennies. Anyway, it's a non event now. I was going to give my MX726 to the daughter and buy another one for myself but she has scored one from her work so I'm sticking with my 726 for the time being.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ok that’s good you can hang onto your printer for now, and yes the Maxify is a bit expensive to very expensive, but well worth every penny.. There’s nothing like it on the current market.. It’s the Panzer Tiger..