which printer do you recommend ? (I want to buy a new printer)

onauc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Howdy,

I want to buy a printer but I have no experience which type of printer (Inkjet or Laser) and which brand and it's model is suitable for my needs. I will tell you what I want to do with my printer and you can recommend me the perfect one for me.
I have already read your website's printer guide so it's no good you refering me to your website's printer guide.

I want to print-out web-templates (cool designs), back-grounds.

I want to print-out webpages (that display logos, images, etc.).

I want to print-out webpages (that display picture galleries).

I want to print-out webpages that are search result pages with images.

I want to print-out webpages (dating, marriage, etc. match-makers) that advertise people's profiles with text and photo-images.

I want to print-out webpages that have small images like these but the images should be printed-out enlarged in good quality.

I will be printing-out my own websites and not other peoples'.

Now, as you can see, I want a printer that will be able to print-out both text and peoples' photoh-images on A4 paper so I can turn the papers into leaflets. Better if it can print-out on A3 paper so I can create colourful posters.

I also want the ink to last long and be low cost because I really don't want to spend on ink more than 1 pence (British) per paper.
I think 1 pence = 1.65 cent (just less than 2 cents).

I have been reading printer guides and I understood that dedicated photo printers are not for me because they can't print-out text nor can they print on normal paper but require special "photo-papers" and these are smaller than A4 in size plus expensive.
I also understood that laser printers are not good to print-out images and photohs.
So, that leaves me with Injet Printers even if they are slower than laser printers.
Now, amongst the Inkjet Printers, I don't know which type is suitable for me.

I don't like the sound of Dye because they take too long to dry and more likely to smudge.
Maybe, Pigments are suitable for me ?
And, since "compatible ink cartridges" (non-brands) are cheaper and equal in quality to "brand ink cartridges" then I guess it's best I buy an Inkjet Printer that can use all sorts of or atleast more than one sort of "compatible ink cartridges" (non-brands) so I can test different companies' "compatible ink cartridges" (non-brands).
From what I've been reading on :
http://www.valueshop.co.uk/guide-to-ink-cartridges.asp
http://www.valueshop.co.uk/guide-to-buying-printer.asp
http://www.valueshop.co.uk/guide-to-ink-cartridges.asp
it seems it is best that my printer does not have a 'fixed print head".

What happens when an ink cartridge runs-out of ink ? Do I have to replace the whole cartridge ? Wouldn't that be expensive ? Isn't it best to just get a cartridge where I can refill ink ? This way, I only spend money on ink and not on both (ink plus the cartridge) ?
I don't know what's best for me so please advise.

So now, which Inkjet Printer do you recommend that can use more than one company's "compatible Pigment ink cartridges" (non-brands) and print-on A4 and better if print on A3 (normal, standard) papers ?
Which brand and model (printer) do you recommend which is itself low cost plus it's ink/cartridge are low cost too and longer lasting and cheaper to replace/refill ?

Anything else I should know ?

Oh by the way, if it's a choice between choosing a printer that is fast but low quality printing or a printer that is slow but prints good quality then I'd go for the latter. But, ofcourse, I prefer a printer that can do both (print fast and good quality text and phots, images, logos, animations, etc.).

Reply asap because I need to buy one asap.

Thanx

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Laser printers are great at quality but are pretty costly. A color laser will run $400 here in the states and probably a lot in the UK. Most Laser printers come with startup carts which are usually only good for 1000 pages though. Then the toner is a lot as well. Some toner carts run between $75-$100 each. They are usually rated for 3000 to 4500 pages.

4 carts x $75 = $300 / 4500 pages = 7 cents per page.

So then that leaves inkjet, they are getting better and better. The Canon IP3000 / IP4000 / IP5000 uses pigment ink for text and dye ink for photos. The dry time is petty fast and not usually a problem for printing out webpages or even photos. Bulk ink can be bought for very cheap and used to refill the carts. Lots of users have tested it and all have opinions on the quality which can rage from good to not so good. There are several manufacters of bulk ink, I use Formulabs from Alotofthings.com , quality is good.

The Canon IP4200 / IP5200 comes with Canons new Chromalife100 which according to Canon will not fade for 100 years under the right storage condition and type of paper used. Bulk ink for this printer is just showing up and none has really been tested.

Trying to get ink for below 2 cents a page might be a struggle, whichever way you go.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Onauc, I would say that the Canon iP3000 printer is the best one for the needs you specified in your posting. You can reduce costs to a penny by refilling your cartridges if you buy large quantities of 3rd party, prefilled cartridges.

Of course the cost of paper is not included in that penny, is it ?

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
to onauc,

You set a quite high bar.

If you want to keep your printing costs down I agree with the recommendation of a
Canon ip 3000, 4000, or 5000. Will do a great job with text and photo's, a plethora of third party replacement cartridges and refilling options are out there that will keep costs down, except your limit is eight and a half inches wide.

When you go to a widecarriage model. something like the canon 19900, you lose the ability to do much with text as its a dedicated photoprinter. The hp options like the 8750 might do decent text and photo's with some cartridge swapping, but there goes your economy---especially with oem cartridges. Not sure on your epson options but you get what I assume you mean by a fixed printhead.

If you really have your heart set on an something that will do A-3 width your options are smaller. Or consider a A-3 printer for banners and and any of the named A-4 Canon choices for most of your printing. Or when you do need the very occassional A-3 banner done, have it done at a printshop and do the A-4 stuff yourself.

In the end, it depends on your printer budget, your needs, and your printing volume. So I recommend you do as much research as possible before you buy.
And if your heart is set on purchasing a single wide carriage printer post that and hopefully someone really knowlegable on wide carriage printers might suggest a better choice--or come up with numbers on what it will do to your printing economy vs a A-4 printer. And by all means, trying some samples on a demo unit in a store might give you an idea how well some of your ideas will pan out as you get to see the output.

Consider also something like the Canon Mp750 which is simply the ip4000 printer engine paired with a scanner. Sometimes bargains can be found making the mp750 cost very little more than an ip 3000, 4000, or 5000 alone.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just my 10 penneth worth (inflation today is fierce! ;)) but if you are going to go with an inkjet I'd recommend you take a look at a getting a printer that will work with a CIS (continuous ink supply) system. That means a Canon Pixma 3000 - 6000 (check the info on that though) or any of a number of Epson inkjet printers.

I can't speak for Canons as most CIS's have been Epson based until recently but in terms of money and hassle (time refilling carts) is concerned they do save a lot provided you're printing a fair amount. My personal preference is for the C86 as it's fast, colourfast (ie: water doesn't result in splotch hell) and an excellent output... then married to a MIS Associates CFS (their brand name for CISs's) and MIS Ultrachrome ink. Costs a bit initially but well worth it :)

I did put together a spreadsheet for my own use to do a comparison between the various cartridge options in a few Epsons (epson branded, refilled, and CIS) and even popped a few colour laserjets in their to check against them and CISs's come out wayyyyy ahead once you've done a fair amount of printing (which it sounds like you'll be doing).

If you want me to send you the spreadsheet to check the math let me know and I'll pop it your way (Not for redistribution though).

Hope that helps... and I know I'm a CIS tart but it's what I know :D

Edit: For A3 you could look at the Epson 1800 printer, CIS kits are available but the ink type can be unique... MIS Associates (www.inksupply.com) has the relevant info on there on compatability, etc...