Which printer do I need?

Arctic Jack

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,

Ive never bought a printer before and I know next to nothing about them. I have around 200 to spend and will be mainly using it to print documents and colour pictures (not photos). If it can print quality photos that would be good too. Im not sure if its possible but if it can print on card that would be advantageous as well. Id also like something that is not going to annihilate the ink. It needs to be cost effective but doesnt compromise quality too much. This will be a printer for home usage so it wont need to be churning out vast amounts of documents and may go a few days/weeks without printing anything at all.

Need:
1. Good quality documents
2. Good quality images
3. Cost effective ink usage

Would like:
1. Being able to print on card
2. Can produce decent quality photographs
3. Scanner/copier.

All this for around 200 would be awesome. I had been looking at Cannon printer which seemed to tick all the boxes apart from it ate ink at an alarming rate, so that scared me right away. I am using a PC with windows Vista if that information is needed.

Thank you for your help.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You appear to reside in the UK , which may have some part in deciding which printer and where you purchase it. For me the MP640 would tick all your boxes. Luckily you have access to the Canon re-seller on Ebay , where many of us avail ourselves of their "refurbished" models. Do not be put off by "refurbished" , all the ones I have seen come out of their OEM boxes have appeared to be "factory fresh" and worked perfectly , I can also vouch that their 1 year warranty is properly honored , (I have used it once in 7 purchases , and that was my fault!).

Regarding the ink usage , currently , (but soon to finish) most models are still using CLI8/ 521carts which can be re-fill friendly , especially if you buy a re-setter for the cart chips.
It would also seem that it wont be long before only models using the 226/526 are available , these are much less re-fill friendly, and should be avoided.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet/_i.html?_fsub=7&_sc=1&_sop=1

A word of warning Canon seem to use this outlet to empty the warehouse of old models to make way for the new , the particular model supply is finite , and occurs spasmodically.
Purchase and delivery procedures are simple and rubust.
If it were me and I had 200 to spend I would buy 2 , (which is what I did with the MP600), that way you have a spare printhead , another set of inks carts , and a spare chassis.

(20th Dec 2010..since posting this E-bay Canon reseller Digital River appear to have shut up shop for the Xmas period.)