Which Printer Carts Used For What Activity On A Canon Mp560

Mr Bigglesworth

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP560
I have a Canon MP560, this is a printer with a C,M,Y.small BK and large BK cartridge setup. (CLI521 C/M/Y/BK, PGBK520).

I am currently experiencing problems with teh PGBK520 not printing and am not sure if this is a blocked printer head/burnt printer head/logic board problem (I have posted on another thread for help with this).

But I was wondering (1) if I just wanted to use this for printing photos, does the lack of a PGBK520 cart impact the photos? I'm not sure if the PGBK520 is used for just black and white docs or if it is used in colour too.

Basically if I can still print photos then I'll keep using the printer and just get a cheap laser for printing black and white docs.

Thanks!

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
PGI-520 is only used for text and only if you print single sided. If all the colors are ok... yes, you can use it for photos. You can still print text (MS Word, etc) if you print double sided (autoduplex).

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you need to print a plain paper document with black text, it is still possible, if you choose matte photo paper as printing media. The text will then be printed using the smaller dye black instead of PGBK. Printing will be slower than with PGBK due to smaller and fewer nozzles for dye black.

Mr Bigglesworth

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP560
Thanks for the replies and that is very helpful news in that I can still use it for photos easily (which is what it has ended up being used for mostly)!

And very helpful to know about tips to force it to use the CLI Black tank for printing text.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The following concerns a different cartridge model but may also apply to your cartridges.

PGI-5 Pigment Black Ink is used ONLY For:
- Plain Paper Test (monochrome and grey scale)
- Envelopes
- Transparencies
- Duplex Printing On Plain Paper
- Camera Direct Printing on Plain Paper

CLI-8 Dye-Based Color Inks are used anytime color is printed and is used exclusively for:
- All Photo Paper types (including when Duplex printing)
- High Resolution Paper
- T-shirt Transfers
- CD-R's
- All Borderless Printing, on both PhotoPaper and Plain Paper