Which Maxify do you recommend?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
For reasons of limited available space, my Maxify sits most of the time in a room away from the computer, disconnected from the mains and paper tray collapsed, so that it doesn't protrudes from the front of the rack where it's stored.
When I want to print, I have to relocate the printer beside the computer, remove the cassette, unfold it for A4 size and insert it again. After 20 months of use, the tray is still in mint condition.
To say the truth, the bottom cassette system doesn't looks flimsier than the conventional trays of any other Canons I've owned in the past. A disgraceful accident may always happen of course, but I expect that this tray will last longer than the printhead.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
For reasons of limited available space, my Maxify sits most of the time in a room away from the computer, disconnected from the mains and paper tray collapsed, so that it doesn't protrudes from the front of the rack where it's stored.
Why don’t you leave it plugged in and run an extra-long USB cable to it, then when you want to print, just click on the mouse button.. A couple of my printers are 4 metres away.. No issues...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the bottom cassette system doesn't looks flimsier than the conventional trays of any other Canons I've owned in the past.
We have different experiences.

Of the Canon inkjet printer models I've owned or set up or worked on in recent memory, there is zero comparison with the flimsy fold out and up paper stop widget on all the Maxify models I've set up or worked on. It's about as rugged as a sugar pane window used for stunts. Maybe not even that little.

Even the skeletonized flimsy paper tray paper tray was a shock to me. Is there any metal in its construction or is it all plastic to get it through Customs X-Ray faster?

Are you saying your Pro-10s is equally "flimsy" and/or skeletonized? I'd be pissed off if it weren't more robust after spending the big bucks.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Why don’t you leave it plugged in and run an extra-long USB cable to it, then when you want to print, just click on the mouse button.. A couple of my printers are 4 metres away.. No issues...
I connect the Maxify by Wifi. No need for long tricky USB cables on which you can trip. Fact is that the MB5150 is stored on a DIY rack (intended initially for audio Hifi stuff) along with my other 2 printers.
As you see in the photo, it would very uncomfortable to operate the Maxify there. Not enough room above or at the sides. Besides, when printing long documents I like to keep an eye on the machine, in case of user mistake or printer error.
Of these three machines only the Pro10s is used in place and connected to the mains outlet. The Maxify and the Brother laser are relocated to my desktop when I want to use them.

printers rack.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I store my printers on racks not to similar to your only bigger, and that allows me to use the printers in those positions, however my Maxify is on my bench a metre from the computer, and its buried under books, papers and my Mac laptop, I never use it as a copier, not can I see the LED screen.. I just click print..

I use long USB cables to hook up all my printers, some are up to 8 or 9 metre length cables, and 2 metres out from the computer I use several powered hubs to handle the various USB connections, all the USB cables are hung up on walls away from been chewed by ted..

I’m so far from the house that I use Devolo mains Powered dLAN cables. The same for my garden Cameras, Wi-Fi is avoided at all costs..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
On occasion of the tiresome WIfi setup of my Pro10s I had to do it initially using an USB cable. I discovered that this printer, or at least my unit, doesn't like long USB cables. With a regular 1 mtr USB cable plus a 3mtr. extension, the computer couldn't see the printer at all. I had to move the whole rack next to the computer and use the short cable of 1 mt. I thought that possibly that 3 mtr .extension was defective but no, the Maxify had no problems connecting with the same 1+3 mtr. cable combo.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Anyone else try to set up the printer without reading all instructions first and were puzzled why the paper tray didn't fit right? A cost cutting technical design achievement. :tongue

Yes, it freaked me out for a few minutes :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I had to do it initially using an USB cable. I discovered that this printer, or at least my unit, doesn't like long USB cables. With a regular 1 mtr USB cable plus a 3mtr. extension, the computer couldn't see the printer
When your using several cables to connect your printer by USB to your computer, it’s best to use a powered hub along the way somewhere to stop dropout, because the powered hub give good constant power levels in both directions.

One of my cable runs was over 10 metres to connect to my Canon IF 6400, and it performed flawlessly, but without a powered hub this would have been impossible, I didn’t want to connect by Cat5 cable.

I also have a USB camera monitoring my 3D printers on 7 metres of cable using a powered hub successfully.. As far as I am aware USB cables can be up to 30 metres safely.. (Haven’t tried that yet)…;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Different situation, but...

I have used a single 6 foot USB printer cable without issue for an MP830 and now my Maxify.

Years ago I used, without issue, a >10 feet Cat 5 ethernet cable from my computer to the wireless router that was in turn connected to an MP600.