Which Maxify do you recommend?

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I assume they are all refillable. I'm in the US. I'm looking for something equal to a MX870. Are there any deals to be had on one? Thanks!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Pick the Maxify that fits your needs and your wallet.

Some are faster.

Some are larger in size.

Some hold more paper, ie two paper trays.

Some use a cartridge with more volume (eg the PGI-2200 vs the PGI-1200), even considering the XL size cartridges.

IIRC, all do Auto Duplex printing but some also do Auto Duplex scanning/printing from the Auto Document Feeder (ADF).

There may be some other differences, but these I recall off the top of my head.

Once you decide on a model (or two) then try Google "Shopping" for pricing. Don't forget to look at Canon USA for prices in their shop. I have found deals at Canon, Adorama and B&H Photo. I use Google Shopping to find pricing on XL cartridges to replace the Setup cartridges.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
... I use Google Shopping to find pricing on XL cartridges to replace the Setup cartridges. ...

In my experience Setup cartridges are XL cartridges only partially filled (and marked SETUP to avoid reselling).
I refill my 2500 (Europe code) setups with the XL volumes (19 and 70ml).

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Do these printers have a rear paper feed?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I loaded photo paper in the cassettes.
It isn't pretty, the paper tray is funky tech, but that's the only way to do it. Don't get me started about the flimsy plastic paper stopper that hangs out from the tray begging to be broken off. It is the Achilles Heel of this fine printer.

Anyone else try to set up the printer without reading all instructions first and were puzzled why the paper tray didn't fit right? A cost cutting technical design achievement. :tongue

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
When you see how flimsy most printers are built, you wonder how long they would work.
Quite long in real life, it must be talented designers.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I've been blessed to have old-school well built printers. The Maxify is my first to have an obvious weak point, like the paper tray. Even the old dot-matrix printers, let alone my laser printer, were of higher build quality, and they were not higher end models. Ahh, the good old days when you were thrilled to print a black and white ASCII image. ;)

I do appreciate the Maxify is a better build than a number of current day inexpensive printers. I :love my MB5120.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Don't get me started about the flimsy plastic paper stopper that hangs out from the tray begging to be broken off. It is the Achilles Heel of this fine printer.
It maybe flimsy, but I haven’t heard of one breaking as yet..
Thankfully there’s 3D printers.. :)