Which is better, Glossy or Matte for Photo Printing?

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just want to know what our members' preferences about paper media.
Which do you think is best for all around photo printing?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I use glossy for general photo printing, as the image looks sharper and seems to be brighter (the fact that Kirkland glossy photo paper is only $0.15/8.5x11 sheet doesn't hurt either). If it will be framed, I generally use matte because of the reduction in reflected light.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
An interesting story:

When I was at Fry's my brother and I talked to one of the smartest guys I've ever met that worked at a Fry's location (I know... that isn't saying much, but he had a TON of photography and printing experience).

Before I knew about the Kirkland glossy paper I was thinking of going with a matte finish because it tended to be cheaper. This employee took a matte piece of paper and put it into one of those clear plastic sheet protectors and voil... a glossy print. He said he's seen a lot of the printer reps use matte paper and slip them into these protectors for the glossy look.

Oh, and I agree with Grandad!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Epson double sided matte for greeting cards that I want printed on both sides (and folded over) and Kirkland Glossy for the sharper, more intense colored photos. Actually, the Epson glossy photo paper can be printed on both sides, but there is a faint repeat logo on the back. I have used it for holiday cards with printing on both sides and no one seems to notice the back side logo.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I was watching the computer show 'call for help' last night, and I was lucky to catch the segment wherein they were comparing glossy and matte printouts.
According to the show, professionals prefer matte over glossy. Matte is more vivid and more longer lasting than glossy. Most amateurs, and those who only occasionally print usually prefer the glossy paper because it resembles the photo prints you will get from a photo studio, making them think that this is better in printing. Gloss gives the picture a professional feel, but to those who know better, matte is the way to go.
Anyway, just want to share what I saw last night, of course, it all depends on personal preferrence.

rjr3684

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For the most part I have been printing with the Kirkland glossy photo paper, but when I photograph animals I find that you get a much more natural look, to the animals, if you print using the matte finish. It is true that once you put them behind a glossy surface they all look the same anyway. I believe I read somewhere that the matte finish will last longer if exposed to light then most glossy finishes. I see on ebay that they now sell 13x19 matte finish photo paper so I am thinking about buying some, anyone had any luck with any particular vendor on ebay for 13x19 media (glossy or matte)?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
rjr3684,

I have experience with Ilford Smooth Pearl and Classic Pearl papers. The Classic Pearl (http://www.inkjetart.com/photo_papers/ilford/classic_pearl.html) is slower to dry (it won't work with pigmented inks), but it is rated to have better print longevity than most fast drying papers because it has a "swellable" instead of "nanoporous" coating. Its finish is similar to a satin finish on conventional prints. There is also a profile for this paper and InkGrabber carts at (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=136), if that makes any difference.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find it listed on e-bay. I paid $25 for (25) 13x19 sheets, which isn't as good as the prices that I see on e-bay for other papers - but I don't have any experience with the papers that are listed.

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My understanding of paper is that matte paper absorbs ink under its surface and has better resistance
to outside influences where with gloss paper the ink tends to more on the surface, but putting prints
behind glass away from direct sunlight significantly increases their longivity. I prefer matte simply
because it doesnt reflect.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Be warned of paper on eBay. I know nothing of this particular vendor, but there are many sellers that have no name, or generic brand paper that is terrible. You may as well go with glossy cardstock and watch your ink dribble down the paper.

This being said, there may be some diamonds in the rough. I'm sure the first person that bought the Costco paper was a bit skeptical... now it is one of the favorite papers (price and performance) among forum members.

bobglen97

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think of media as coming in 3 types of surface finishes....
Glossy.....
Luster... (a surface that has semi-gloss pebble (or lightly frosted, if you will) finish)
Matte.....has no gloss and minimal reflective properties)

The luster finish is what most people "mistakenly" call matte, and was introduced because it did not show fingerprints (as much as glossy) and was easier for most people to handle. Most photography studios now use a luster finish for portraits. Most fine art printing is done on true matte paper. Glossy is still the standard for those in the entertainment industry.

The diffusion of light reflection in a luster finish tends to cause an image to appear a bit "softer", making the people in portraits appear better looking (less wrinkles, hides blemishes, etc.).

A good quality, high gloss finish will appear to add "depth" to the printed image, just as a very high quality custom paint job on a car. It also tends to project a "sharper" image, as there is nothing to diffuse the light reflected back to your eye. Dye inks traditionaly have provided the best inkjet glossy prints (though epson is addressing that issue with it's newly released printers and new ink formulations).

The best quality matte prints come from printers using a pigment ink, as they pack more "punch" than dye inks on matte paper.

My preference is for glossy prints, even for portrait work......but I also tend to soften the images as needed in ps before printing.

more later on the papers I have tried and current preferences.