Which Canon all-in-one to replace trusty IP4500?

Ridgy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've been using my IP4500 for some time now after buying it to replace my old Epson R300 (I know, should have gone with the Canon from the start!) but have a cheap HP all in one I'm using for scans etc.

I've been refilling the Canon for some time with no issues using the Durchstich method and I'd like a printer that's as easy to refill as my IP4500 that can also scan so that I can toss my HP in the bin for good and reduce my desktop clutter!

I notice some of the later printer use the 521 carts which look similar to the Cli8 ones i'm used to using. Is anything available using these as the refilling methods I've seen described for the opaque carts seem a nightmare!

While I'm changing printer it would also make sense to find something that's air print compatible so I can print from my iPad.

I should add that I don't really print photographs so a printer with 6 or 7 inks is not necessary although if one is available with the ease of refilling of the IP4500 then I'm open to persuasion. My experience of running my previous photo quality r300 firstly with compatibles then latterly with a CIS is not a happy one! (finally got rid of it after I came downstairs one morning to find my window sill flooded with ink!)

Is there anything out there that fulfills my needs or should I stick with the two printers I have?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Forget about all the new stuff like brighter colours, faster printing, Wi Fi, smaller foot print, its just all bling.
But by all means hang onto your 4500 as long as you can, they dont make printers like that anymore.. :)

Ridgy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Hat.

I'm really happy with my IP4500 and only decided to buy it after reading the forum here. Ease of refilling was a big factor in choosing that particular model.

I've even got to the point of looking for a cheap second one to put away in storage for such time as the head goes or I need to replace any parts!

Maybe finding an all-in-one with similar characteristics was wishful thinking :)

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
very happy with my MP640 that is wireless, i only wish it supported airprint, if you can find one that is my recommendation

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Ridgy - where are you located? There was an ip4500 on Craigs list in San Jose, CA last weekend for $60. If you have Craigs list in your area just check for "Canon printer" in the electronics section every day and limit the search to your immediate geographic area. You will want to physically check that it has a good Nozzle check and prints a large photo without any banding. I stay away from any ad the states that the printer is "out of ink" for any color or that the owner has been using aftermarket prefilled carts or is refilling (except for one of the frequent participants here on the forum whose refilling can be trusted!)