Which black cart. is my problem???

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Im having trouble determining whats wrong with my black carts. These are the refillables (250 &251) purchased from milking. The printer is an MX922. Ive uploaded 3 different pics. The first is the resulting printout after I finished cleaning the print head.
IMG_20180330_0001.jpg

As you can see the black band that is supposed to be at the bottom of the printout is missing. I think this is supposed to be from the small blk. cart Im also not sure if the black vertical lines on the left side are all supposed to be solid black. Trying to solve this problem I thought it was ink starvation from the PGK cartridge. Mike has previously explained to me that these carts can develop an air lock problem and the sponge needs to be moved away from the vertical partition to break this air lock. Using a paper clip I moved the sponge in both blk. carts to solve the problem. When this didn’t work I decided the problem was with the pgbk cart so I drained the cart completely and then flushed it clean and dried it. Then it was treated with pharmisists solution. Then I refilled the cart. and printed the aforementioned 3 printouts. Not sure which blk cart was at fault, I printed a blk.test pattern two different ways (1) printing in color and the 2nd printing in grayscale. As you can see both of these printouts look perfect and are exactly the same.

IMG_20180330_0002.jpg
IMG_20180330_0002.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180330_0003.jpg
    IMG_20180330_0003.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 260

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
According to the nozzle check, the CLI-251 Black ink is the problem. This is a Dye-based ink and is the "BK" that is missing on the nozzle check. (There is no "PBK" cartridge)

This could be ink starvation or an electrical malfunction in the print head or logic assay board. First thing to do is try a new CLI-251 Black cartridge or a known working one. The current cartridge involved in this loss of ink may be fixed by flushing it and making sure the sponge is in the proper position. Also, make sure nothing is blocking the air vent or else ink will not flow.

The PGBK is Pigment Black and is the PGI-250 cartridge. This looks alright.

Helpful tip: Scan your nozzle checks and crop them to remove unprinted portions of the paper before posting.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@pearlhouse, At a glance I reckon your photo black nozzles are all burned out and are not coming back, your going to need a new print head to correct the situation, all the cleaning in the world is not going to help.

I’d recommend you run your printer on XL OEM carts and reset them for better reliability... Sorry...:(

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Problem has been resolved... I found an older BK OEM cart that I tried in the printer. It gave me a good test printout which I was pleased with. I then took the refillable BK cart and flushed it then prepped it with pharmacists solution and refilled it with ink. It appears to be working fine now. So now Im going to watch all these carts for a similar air lock problem. I think the only way to keep these carts from getting this air lock is to flush them and start over.

On a separate note does anyone know if the xl oem carts can be refilled using the German Durchstich method by drilling the refill hole on end of the cart. Thanx guys.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
On a separate note does anyone know if the xl oem carts can be refilled using the German Durchstich method by drilling the refill hole on end of the cart. Thanx guys.

They can. Here is an instruction from a German (of course?) company. It seems the instruction applies to both the standard and XL cartridges. The European PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges are identical to the North American PGI-250/CLI-251 cartridges except for the chip and label.

Last edited:

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
They can. Here is an instruction from a German (of course?) company. It seems the instruction applies to both the standard and XL cartridges. The European PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges are identical to the North American PGI-250/CLI-251 cartridges except for the chip and label.
Thanx Peter I'm going to give it a try when I get some time..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Problem has been resolved... I found an older BK OEM cart that I tried in the printer. It gave me a good test printout which I was pleased with.
@pearlhouse, That was one hell of a recovery, I’ve never known a colour to come back from the dead like that, it was a good catch, and sorry for putting the wind up you, but to go from zero to hero is really something, congratulation... ;)