When replacing ink in CIS with another brand do you clean out your CIS

yazyazoo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just purchased a CIS from Ebay that is ready to go. Ink is already in the larger wells. However I do not know the quality of the ink. Lets say I want to switch to another brand of ink, how would I do this in CIS? Do I mix the two brands? Am I stuck with that brand of ink?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
yazyazoo said:
I just purchased a CIS from Ebay that is ready to go. Ink is already in the larger wells. However I do not know the quality of the ink. Lets say I want to switch to another brand of ink, how would I do this in CIS? Do I mix the two brands? Am I stuck with that brand of ink?
Depends entirely on the type of cartridge you have...

If it's a sponge cart (part or otherwise) you're going to have more problems with purging it than a spongeless design..

As a general rule it's better not to try and mix two types of ink because some inks are forumlated using chemicals that can react with other ink (even OEM inks from the printer manufacturer)... and if they two inks react in the printhead or cartridges you're going to be in a world of hurt.. It's rare but it does happen so buyer beware.. :(

Ultimately if you are wary and unwilling to take a risk, my advice would be to take advantage of the experience on here and get yourself a relevant supply of inks from one of the recommended suppliers (MIS, forumlabs, etc..) and use that right from the get go..

Hope that helps..