When is a refilled cartridge done for good?

Cedar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is there any way to determine if a refilled cartridge is getting worn out and needs to be replaced, aside from the obvious problems of not printing anymore, of course. Is it possible for an older cart that has been refilled many times to have a problem that could damage a printhead? I'm using a Canon Pixma iP3000 and 4000.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Define "older cart" and "refilled many times". I just passed two years refilling the same set of carts and have no intention of stopping any time soon.

Cedar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can't be sure exactly how old they are or how many times refilled, but I've had this printer for 5.5 years, and I don't recall replacing any cartridges yet. I have noticed that the sponges seem less saturated with ink, especially in the upper part of the sponges, and sometimes in the lower part too, does this mean anything? Do the sponges soak up less ink as they age?

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
The old cartridges with the less saturated sponges might benefit from being purged of ink with a good clean out with running warm water, I just do mine in cold water but they're not very old.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Cedar
I would follow rodbam's advise on this and give your cartridges a good clean out, it will bring them back to like new again.
Happy Printing..:)