Whatever happened to...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you read my post in another section, this article will further intensify the efforts to crowd out compatibles. If the chips and heads are integrated, then the manufacturer can claim that the cartridge is recyclable by refilling. If compatibles are allowed a worst case for electroscrap mounts in that people would forego refilling and just keep buying more cheap compatibles thus adding to the elctroscrap heap really fast. BTW Chinese Mfrs simply don't care about landfill and recycling... only USD talks.
The further complication is that manufacturers are forced to deal with recycling, then try those same rules on cheap compatible imports. Who is going to try and force a "tax" or "duty" on the cheap compatible? Where would it be collected?
I think the manufacturers can mount a solid case to protect themselves, especially if anyone even mentions compatibles in the case. I can see why the legislation probably went nowhere fast.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Yeah, I hadn't really thought about it like that but it makes sense..

Canon have got a "recycling" policy too although that's solely to grind up the used carts and then send them back into the plastic recycling system.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
HP also has a recycling program where as far as I know, "select" cartridges are actually remanufactured and resold as HP original. I don't know if anywhere on the packaging they indicate that it is 100% new.
Lexmark and Dell also have recycling programs as well.