What software is best for picture layout ?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Graphicuser,

Most people agree that PhotoShop (by Adobe) is the most popular high-end photo editing package in use today (although Linux users might make an argument for GIMP). PS also includes a powerful color management system that is very useful if you want to get the most faithful color reproduction from your printer. This is an area that is missing from most printing packages - they do not support color management (Qimage is one of the few that does).

A second weak area for most printing packages is the interpolation software used to resize images to a specific printer size. PS has good interpolation capability, but you have to invoke it manually or as part of an "action" that you can run in batch mode. Qimage has superior interpolation routines that are almost completely transparent to the user - this is why Panos saw such an improvement in his printed images.

I didn't spend a lot of time on the Print Six web site, but I didn't see any mention of either of these two points. Their testimonials seem to be based on ease of use, not print or color quality.

Graphicuser

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
GranDad35

I am thinking about looking into the Qimage program and possibly make some printout comparrisons. I think it would be very interesting to see severas comparisons all at once.
Who puts out the Qimage? I have several graphic programs that just don't quite make the grade as well as the ones I am using now. As I mentioned, I like ADOBE Photoshop. It just takes lots longer on some operations but when you get the hang of it, there is really where the quality comes out.
The Print Six seems to do a good job for just normal use, haven't really tried comparing it to anything else. It appears that a lot of the image editors seem to get a bit fuzzy for long shots. Close up do quite well.
Another thing I have noticed is that the quality of paper is extremely important! The paper that works best with the type of printer you have is always the way to go. Epson printers seem to do quite well with RedRiver paper.
Also the regular large pkg (120 sheets) of Epson that most outlets carry is quite good also. Since I am not doing anything special like professional photos, I can use the Seconds and save quite a bit of cost! Haven't been able to see the flaw that is supposed to be in the paper the reason for it being sold as seconds!
Regards:
GU

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
GU,

Here is a link to a printing demo that you might find interesting and which will llet you see if there is any benefit with better interpolation routines and sending a higher dpi image to your printer (http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/quality/). Here is a link where you can download the free demo program(http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/demo.htm).

As I stated in a previous post in this thread, "It takes a while to learn to use its features properly, but that is true for any powerful application". This package isn't a good choice for a printing or computer novice, but it will help you to get better prints from your image files once you learn to use it. Panos did a good job of posting scans of his images (download them and compare them in PhotoShop to see the differences) - if the types of improvements that he shows aren't important to you and you are comfortable with your present printing package, I wouldn't spend any time looking at this alternative.

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This doesn't compare with QImage or Adobe, but if you want something simple and intuitive for printing variable no. of images per page.

http://www.photoelf.com/

Lette

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Photoshop CS is no doubt the most significant Photoshop move towards digital photographers. This is definitely worth the time and effort to learn the program. But if you're looking for a really easy photo editing program this is not for you.

Latest posts