What printer to use for printing greeting cards on heavy art cardstoc

charkness

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am starting a small home-based greeting card business. I want to print cards inhouse rather than send them out to a printer. What would be the best inkjet printer for this purpose? I'll be using watercolor type paper, very heavy stock.

Zap

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

For Ourselves, my wife and myself use 8 1/2 X 11, 65 LB card stock for regular size half fold and quarter fold cards. I believe that is about the same weight stock used on commercial cards. At least it looks like it, and feels the same. These fit the common card size envelopes.

We use 8 1/2 X 11, 110 LB card stock for posters, signs, and business Cards.

We both print with a Canon IP4200 with good success.

Jack

charkness

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Jack,
Thank you for responding to my query on the Inkjet Printer Forum! As I said in my post, I'm just starting out in the greeting card business area and don't know very much. Your comments were very useful, and of course, spawned more questions for me!

First, you mention that you use 8.5 x 11 inch paper, and I was wondering if you ever use larger paper, like tabloid size, etc.? Would that even make sense in terms of normal greeting card size? Also, is the paper you use pre-cut for greeting cards, or do you do the scoring, cutting and folding yourself?

Second, did you look at other Canon printers before choosing the IP4200? I ask because when I checked it out, it was amazingly inexpensive! Some of the mid priced models (i.e. $500 or so) have more inks, take larger paper, etc., but I'm wondering if those features are necessary. What is your opinion?

Thank you in advance!!

susan.cowsar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Charkness--

As a former marketing director, let me guide you to the laser color printers for professional quality print. As soon as you go pro (selling your cards), you'll need to print professionally.

Don't be afraid to visit office supply and especially computer supply stores to get your information about the kind of printer you need. Walk in with a wish list, tell them what you are wanting to do and what your desired results are, and then let them know you are beginning your information gathering process and will get back to them if you decide to purchase from them.

Color laser printers aren't nearly as cost prohibitive as they used to be, so you will likely be pleasantly surprised by the cost. If you want to stay in the card printing business, I heartily recommend you steer clear of the inkjets. These are fine for in-house business use (I have two), but when I ran a business that required professional output for my customers, I had to shell out the bucks for the laser. It paid off where the inkjet quality would not.

Cost option: Take your prepared PDF file to a copy shop and have them print out your cards. Chat up the designer to find out what the best paper usage is, etc. I've learned tons from my former vendors.

Best wishes with your business!

Cheers,

Susan

charkness

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Susan, for your thoughtful comments. I will go to stores and get more info from them as you suggest. I had not considered color laser printers because I had thought that they would be unable to handle the thickness of the watercolor paper I want to use. I'll have to research this as well, since perhaps they can.