what is the life expectancy from a print head

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
no. Each printer mfgr and each model has a service life that is available from the mfgr.

printerenquirer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
dont you get lost in all this info in a forum, i do, ran a search for mfgr what does it mean is it manufacturers guarantee?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The life expectancy on a printhead depends on many factors.

http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/ExpectedPrintHeadLifeGuideline.pdf

It is not cut and dry, x amt of pages. Read the document and when you do some research it is hard to predict ... remember this is for a commercial duty expensive printer. There simply are too many variables.. Just remember the saying, the candle that burns the brightest burns the shortest. So if your intent is to blaze continuous printing of the highest resolution with 100% color coverage as in high quality photographs on a non stop basis, be prepared for a shorter life. How much shorter? Hard to tell, even Canon can't put a finger on it exactly either.

printerenquirer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
is it possible that a broken print head can be doctored or once its done its done like the element in a kettle?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Don't know why Canon published the guideline of print head life.

Whatever the reason it may be but if you believe in the numbers Canon said in the guidance I have an advice for you. Just keep printing and get as much printing as you can out of the print heads and make sure they die before the guidance says they will. Then ask Canon to replace them free of charge. It shouldn't take a genius to tinker the simple logic behind this. No? Hummm... Can anyone tell me why my cousin's BJ3000 is still rocking and rolling after 7 years of doing so? Now that we are in this thread again let's do a rational discussion or debate on it.