What is the latest on PGI-5 and CLI-8 resetters?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PeterBJ said:
I bought the original Redsetter for PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges some years ago when it first became available and it has served me well since.

One problem though, the battery life is less than stated in the ads, which claim it might outlast your printer, so I have had to change the battery a few times. The quality of cheap no-name CR2032 batteries varies a lot, some having a very short life.

I recommend spending the extra money and buy the USB powered version.
You experienced one of the issues I alluded to in my first post. These issues have been resolved AFAIK. Redsetters are the original resetters for chipped Canon cartridges and oftentimes the most expensive.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Ron350 said:
Now I am really confused because this add talks about resetting BCI-7, PGI-5 and CLU-8 carts.

What is a BCI-7 cart and do all resetters work on it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chip-Resett...425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f0a82b759
BCI-7 appears to be a model number for a cartridge used in Canon printer models in countries other than the USA. It does not concern you unless you have that model printer that uses that cartridge AND you set your firmware to a country that uses that type of cartridge.

Have no idea if all CLI-8/PGI-5 resetters work with BCI-7 and it matters not unless you will also be resetting BCI-7 and CLI-5 cartridges. Sounds like you won't be.

Why are you looking at web sites that list in GBP?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ruffin said:
That's essentially what I said when I linked them as HTML by their respective web site names in my second post.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Is it true that if you tell your PGI-5 & CLI-8 printer to print after the printer says the cart is empty that the cart chips are dead and cant be reset?

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Ron350 said:
Now I am really confused because this add talks about resetting BCI-7, PGI-5 and CLU-8 carts.

What is a BCI-7 cart and do all resetters work on it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chip-Resett...425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f0a82b759
BCI-7 chipped cart is used in Japan. The BCI-7 cart is the equivalent of CLI-8 carts and BCI-9BK is the equivalent of PGI-5BK cart which rest of the countries other than Japan is using. The seller sells internationally, so he/she is selling a resetter that can reset both PGI-5, CLI-8 and BCI-7. I don't see why you need to be concerned whether it can reset BCI-7 chip, unless you are also using BCI-7 chipped cart. What's in important is that the resetter can meet your requirement to reset the chip that you are want.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Ron350 said:
Is it true that if you tell your PGI-5 & CLI-8 printer to print after the printer says the cart is empty that the cart chips are dead and cant be reset?
This has never happened to me with Canon OEM chips nor have I ever read about this before. There are, however, aftermarket chips that cannot be reset at all, at least with the then current chip resetters when Druckerchannel came out with the article a couple years ago which I PM'ed you about.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Thank you I will contact mapsy when she returns from vacation.