What is the difference between an HP 94 and 98 cartridge?

Number21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an HP Deskjet 460 that uses a #94 black cartridge and #95 for color. I have a friend with a printer that looks exactly the same, but it's called an "OfficeJet" H-something. It's a slightly newer model. It also uses the same #95 color, but uses #98 for black.

Here's my problem: I can get plenty of half used #98 cartridges from my friend (long story), but they do not work in my printer in place of the #94. They physically look identical. The 98 fits in my older printer but it refuses to work.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 94 and 98 cartridges, and, is there anything I can do to make the 98 work in my printer?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The cartridges might be the same physically, with just different amounts of ink filled in. The smaller capacity cartridges are more expensive per ml of ink. The cartridges are coded electronically or optically with an ID containing type- and serial number and maybe also a date code. I guess that the "OfficeJet" printer is more expensive than the "DeskJet". If you buy the more expensive printer, you are allowed to use the less expensive ink. I don't think the cartridge coding can be changed.

Here are some links explaining this in more detail:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071126103521AAcS7aU , http://freedomtoprint.com/2010/07/3...int-cartridge-c9364w-inside-hp-ink-cartridge/ and http://freedomtoprint.com/2010/06/2...inkjet-print-cartridge-c8765w-–-cracked-open/

Number21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was thinking. That really pisses me off. :rolleyes:

Will the 94 work in the "better" printer that takes the 98? I might be able to convince my friend to change if the 94 works in both. She changes the cartridges frequently often before they are empty since it's a portable printer and is needed for work, so I get the ones that aren't quite empty yet. (and I can refill them)

Number21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I checked, both the 94 and 98 work in the OfficeJet, only the 94 works in the DeskJet. I don't understand why they would restrict the use of the smaller, more expensive 98 cartridge?! I'll see if my friend can switch to the 94, they are higher capacity right?

Edit: the 94 and 98 are the same price, HP says 400 pages for the 98 and 480 pages for the 94. That's just stupid. What is the 98 for?!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Edit: the 94 and 98 are the same price, HP says 400 pages for the 98 and 480 pages for the 94. That's just stupid. What is the 98 for?!
That also looks strange to me. I wonder if HP made a mistake on their site ? Maybe the 98 is less expensive in some markets, as a reward to those who bought the OfficeJet ?
It looks like you can just go ahead and use the better 94 in both printers :)