What is Caon Doing with their new printers

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum, Birdy 176. I also have the ip6000 and the ip3000 and they are indeed fabulous machines. It would be worthwhile to you to read the threads about unclogging printheads..you will learn a lot from these threads, as everyone who uses Canons will eventually run into this problem. The printers using the bci-6s are gold these days. Try to find an ip4500 instead of an ip4600 if you are still in the market for a new printer.

The cartridges are almost identical to the BCI-6s and are easily refillable as well.

birdy176

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Manuchau: Thank you for the welcome and ALLOW ME TO SHOUT:

I have just followed the collective wisdom of all of you and in the spirit of having nothing to lose, set up an OR on the kitchen counter.
I took an old yellow BCI cart, knocked out the little fill ball and injected Windex till it ran out of the sponge compartment. In the meantime a hot glue gun was warming up and I covered the bottom hole of the cartridge with my thumb since a bit of yellow liquid had begun to run out - into the sink of course.

I glued the fill hole shut, checked for leaks and ran to the printer. The cart was quickly inserted in place of the full black one and locked down. Then - for the first time in 4 years - I found out that model 6000 has an LCD read-out window for a purpose rather than using the software that came with the printer.

I did one deep-clean cycle and then nozzle check when suddenly the black line on the test sheet was visible in gray. A second cleaning cycle brought black lettering on the test sheet and my hopes were up. All that happened while the Windex tank was still in place. Now I removed it and returned the black tank, locked it down and inserted a matte sheet of Staples photo paper.

I have always used the Photo Record applet that came with my Canon printers and selected the 4x6 size, borderless and in two rows.
I found four of the most colorful Picasa pictures (I have 22,000 to-date...) and printed them out standard.

I couldn't believe it - the old quality was back on a printer model already 6 years old and now being sold for more than twice what I paid years ago. I shudder that I was about to dump it.

Now my wife wants me to resuscitate her Canon 4000 so she can use color as one or more of her printer's COLOR nozzles are clogged.

Disclosure: I don't work for Windex :) ..... but lived in LaVerne, CA before moving to Oregon.

Time for celebrating with a cup of coffee - and thanks again for your great input.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
birdy176,... sorry to be so late in responding, but as you can see some of the Inkjet Masters from this site have helped you solve your problem. I have every confidence that the same will work on your iP4000. Both of these printers are some of the best and last that have used the BCI-6/3 inkc carts. If your going to refill, please use the best quality ink and only use original Canon ink carts to refill. If you take care of those printers they will last you for a very long time.

birdy176

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you, Trigger 37. Glad to hear that the iP4000 and iP6000 have such a good reputation.