What is Canon's purpose for the inlet port with plastic sealing ball?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
FNO? (for nerds only)

Under the strong upper tape with "Push" on these CLI-8 carts, there is a plastic ball sealing the "Inlet Port"

Note the plastic ball has been removed in the upper cart, replaced by a RJetTek #1813 plug. There's kind of a "tunnel" leading into the reservoir side of the cart.

I've removed maybe 100 of these plastic balls. My impression had been that the inlet port is intended for refillers to use with the "Traditional Top Refilling Method" that I employ. It's also useful ... if not essential ... for flushing/purging of carts. (Note that many on this forum advocate drilling a separate hole above the reservoir and leaving the inlet port alone.)

But lately I've been scratching my head ... "Why would Canon leave an inlet port to facilitate refilling and flushing/purging?"

I never really thought how Canon originally fills the carts. Perhaps I had a fuzzy impression that they put in the ink through the outlet port, and then put on the filter, and then the orange outlet cap?

Or maybe with the outlet port filter in place, a'la how some forum members refill PGI-9 carts for the Pro-9500?

Some variant of vacuum refilling via the outlet port?

FWIW, my emerging speculation is that Canon fills through the inlet port, then seals with the plastic ball, and further seals with the tape. Actually, I'd be surprised if that isn't how it's done. Duh? PGO ... profound grasp of the obvious?

It still seemed odd to have the "Push" label there. My impression is that you actually shouldn't Push the plastic ball into the reservoir, but rather pull it out.

Ahhhh ... but isn't that where you Push to insert the cart into the print-head carrier until it "Clicks" into place?

I'm not sure what my point is ... if any.

I think part of my pondering is that I've resisted German refilling because I had the impression that "Traditional top filling is how Canon intended carts to be refilled."

Far be it from me to claim to fathom the Japanese mind of Canon, but it seems unlikely that Canon had refilling facilitation as a priority during cart design. Did their marketing used to claim "Easy to Refill" compared to HP and/or Epson?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The ball is to seal the factory fill hole - certainly not to facilitate refilling. And yes - "PUSH" means push here to seat the cart. All pretty obvious.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Allan,

making philosophical comments about how things are made and why they are made, the way they are made, is not the purpose of this forum. I suggest to look for in websites, supposedly about the meaning of life, where we will go to after death.

For ease of mind, I suggest to take many things as granted, as they are most obvious.