What foldable paper is best for printing medical x-rays?

yazyazoo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I need some nice quality inkjet paper for reproducing x-rays. What is good? I am using a Canon with Hobbicolor inks. What is good from Office Depot, Staples, or Costco. I looked for inkjet paper with coating but couldn't find any.

I need paper that isn't that thick so that it can fit in a regular #10 envelope.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Very good question, you need a paper that has no optical brighteners and linear spectral curve. This information is not provided on typical paper package.

Based on my research I can say that HP Proofing Paper is the one to look at, I don't think you can find this size but you can cut from A3 or roll to your required size. You will also require to make special printer profile for your media ink combo and it should be made for black and white printing with no less than 2000 patches to get smooth gradations.

If you are interested in the profile contact me via forum.

You can also use Canon selphy printers that use black ribbon only that way you can get the same but you must buy the printer and paper size is limited to 4x6 that is very small for x-ray, except dental maybe.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
stupid question but have you considered printable OHP transparencies?

Just thinking outside the box a little there.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Not exactly the answer you want, but...

Know of a place that uses Kodak Easy Share Photo Paper, "Instant Dry", Gloss. They run it through an HP laser printer instead of their low-end inkjet. Results are a bit grainy but acceptable to the client receiving it. Paper is NOT folded.

Mostly they burn a CD with the images plus a self-contained viewer, so no software need be installed on the viewer's computer. The PACS they currently use is from dynamic-imaging.com.

Please let us know what you decide upon.