What Are You Printing With Your CFS / CIS ?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hi All,

Been anxiously reading these threads about continuous ink systems and am curious: What are you printing with these? I can get quite a few prints out of my cartridges, so I'm guessing that you must be printing more than the average user to necessitate a CIS CFS.

So, what are you printing and how many pages / month do you think you're printing with you continuous system?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
nifty-stuff.com said:
Hi All,

Been anxiously reading these threads about continuous ink systems and am curious: What are you printing with these? I can get quite a few prints out of my cartridges, so I'm guessing that you must be printing more than the average user to necessitate a CIS CFS.

So, what are you printing and how many pages / month do you think you're printing with you continuous system?
Heh heh... wouldn't you like to know... so many sites of dubious nature, so little paper... :D ... No, no no!!... as if :p

Nope, I'm actually providing pre-installed CIS kits to a number of primary schools I've helped kit out with PC's and the like. Their particular need is for something that works, costs very little in consumables and prints in colour... As you can imagine a well installed and maintained CIS printer is pretty much gold dust in this scenario.

I'm not so sure it'd work as well in a Secondary school as they tend not to have as much full colour work (except in art departments) but unless you've never been into a primary school you'll recognise that the output and the sheer volume of it makes a CIS a good move.

Just thinking about it.. my first school now has five CIS enabled C84-D88 printers (2 are being retired soon) and I'll be installing an MP500 + two iP4200's in the next week.. We worked out they've saved over 3k over the first 2 years with just 2 printers and I still need to check their current usage because I'm pretty sure that the figure is now closer to 5k in 3 years.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I bet primary schools could find excellent use our of a CIS! Can you hook up gallon ink containers? ;)

Anybody else willing to tell us what they are doing with their CIS's?

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
Anybody else willing to tell us what they are doing with their CIS's?
I don't expect to have the quantity of printing that one would ordinarily associate with a CIS system, but I have a new reason to consider a CIS.

I have an iP4200 with those cartridge chips. I am refilling for economic reasons. With the help I've gotten from Grandad35's posts, I find refilling simple. I can live with my own checking of the ink levels, but I've been thinking seriously about a CIS and its visible ink supplies. That can make the lack of software ink level reporting a non-problem.

Kools

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi; Just came across a Bulk Continuous Ink System from 'InkExpress4u" on ebay. It appears to be a simple system, easy installation and the price is very reasonable compared to others I have seen. It uses Non-Sponge Cartridges, which is one thing I like.Has anyone in the forum used these folks system and if so, does it do the job?
Thanks.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Kools said:
Hi; Just came across a Bulk Continuous Ink System from 'InkExpress4u" on ebay. It appears to be a simple system, easy installation and the price is very reasonable compared to others I have seen. It uses Non-Sponge Cartridges, which is one thing I like.Has anyone in the forum used these folks system and if so, does it do the job?
Thanks.
Just had a peek and those are generic ebay clone CIS's... You can search for the problems people have had with some of those units up and down the web..

Nothing against that particular seller but the experiences I've seen indicate that support or lack thereof is the primary issue and there have been a number of built quality problems especially with regard to the reservoirs (cross contamination between ink segments, poor tubing, etc..).

In truth my recommendation would be to find something with a long standing reputation for support and quality.. There's reviews out there..

... BUT.. we're getting off topic.. :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
canonfodder said:
I have an iP4200 with those cartridge chips. I am refilling for economic reasons. With the help I've gotten from Grandad35's posts, I find refilling simple. I can live with my own checking of the ink levels, but I've been thinking seriously about a CIS and its visible ink supplies. That can make the lack of software ink level reporting a non-problem.
Yeah... it's one of the things that I realised would probably happen to a lot of refillers who bought Canons chipped models.

It's a pain but a CIS does take a lot of the potential worry out of the ink level issue..

As to primary schools and gallons of ink Rob.. heh.. you could be right but it's a little impractical ;) I do know my first school is getting through 5 carts on each colour (10 on the black) every month.. and that's multiplied by about 3 printers. Course the headteacher is a happy about the ink costs and a little freaked by the paper budget :D