What are the last printer series with a resettable cartridge chip that can be refilled w/ bulk ink?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
In all the years I’ve been running my many Canon printers, I’ve never had a duel failure..
Of course, if I didn't get the spares, it probably would of.
That I’m afraid is Murphy’s law..:hide

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
I didn't either until 3 or so years ago, then twice in the same year (different machines, different PH's). Nothing since. In was approaching DEFCON 2. Talk about "hard knocks".

Looks like I'm not the only one to graduate from there;

school-of-hard-knocks-albert-einstein2.jpg

soysauce

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP&WF, HP DJ, Canon MG
I just want to point out that the availability of refillable ARC carts compatible with Epson printers is not the same in the United States as in the rest of the world. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago the US courts sided with Epson that those cartridges violated an Epson US patent. Epson has been aggressive in trying to enforce that, so refillable cartridges for Epson for people in the US are not as much of an option as they would be for people in Europe, Canada, etc.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I thought there had to be something to all of this.
I realize asking this in a Canon forum (based on the traffic count for the big 3 printer manufacture sub-forums) that I would be waiting a while before someone to step up to the plate which you just did.

Let me ask this, what printer series were the 1st Epson came out with that had carts with these chips in that couldn't be reused by refilling? This had to hurt Epson sales, hasn't it?

Last edited:

soysauce

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP&WF, HP DJ, Canon MG
I thought there had to be something to all of this.
I realize asking this in a Canon forum (based on the traffic count for the big 3 printer manufacture sus-forums) that I would be waiting a while before someone to step up to the plate which you just did.

Let me ask this, what were the 1st ARC carts Epson came out with and what printer series? This had to hurt Epson sales, hasn't it?
This is an Epson forum. You should see on your screen. The people who have responded to your questions know a tremendous amount about Epson printers. But many don't live in the US and are not affected by the US court decisions in the Epson patent cases.
I don't understand your question "what were the 1st ARC carts Epson came out with and what printer series?" I may be wrong but I only know of ARC (auto reset chips) from 3rd parties, and am not aware that Epson came out with any. Epson is protecting their sales of ink by enforcing their US patents on the chips.
Hopefully now you have enough information to decide whether it is still worth it to you to pursue your original plan.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I didn't word the question properly, sorry about that. Correction made.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There are Epson printers which accept 3rd party cartridges with ARC chips, there are Ecotank printers you can refill with any ink you consider suitable, there are printers on which you only can use a resetter for the original cartridges/chips and there are printers which accept or reject 3rd party cartridges depending on the business region in this world - that's different chip generations programmed to make refill difficult or impossible depending where you are , the legal environment and which printer you use. And there are various hacks floating around to make a printer chipless

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
How much clearer can I make it??
If the experts here do not comprehend what exactly you want then you need to make it clearer.

You seem a square peg in a round hole kind of guy. A lot of innovation and discovery are made by those with this attribute. To some extent, refillers are of this mindset. So, more power to you. However, you may run into issues when you want to force things with printers. This is what ISF and The Hat are telling you - Epson print heads are not easy to replace like Canon's and failure rate may approach 100% without proper knowledge on a technical level. If you've got that, or don't mind burning print heads and dollars in the process, then, as The Hat encouraged, go for it and let the forum know what happened.

Concerning ARC cartridges for older Epsons, it might be easier, and more successful, to first determine the printer and then look up the cartridge model for availability of ARC chips or cartridges. The people that have commented here are from outside the US. Given the stated legalities of aftermarket cartridges in the US and your desire for an older printer, you may not get an answer the way you are going about it.

If no one from the US with an older Epson printer using ARC cartridges happens to read your thread then you may not get an experienced answer. So, find a printer of interest, look up the cartridge model and availability of aftermarket ARC cartridges and take it from there.

Last edited: