WF-7110 or ?

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
I now understand how printer stables get built...

I've been considering a photo printer and looking at the P600, P400, and P800. I couldn't see the, for me, difference between 800 and 600 (yes, larger paper size, bigger this and that, but really one consumed steroids and the other didn't).

The 400 and 600 are similar but appear to be targeted to different media. The 400 seems more attuned to glossy than matte. I find myself leaning towards matte.

Then the 7110 falls into my view.

It's a Durabrite, meaning fewer "spikes" colors, but appears to have most of the features of the 400. I've been playing with my 3620 and like the way it performs with PC ink on matte paper. Yes, I've read, many times, the Durabrite thread.

So here's my conundrum I'd appreciate input on: 7110 or 400? Just to add to the dilemma, the 7110 (if it still exists today) is much less expensive.

Please help (hopefully) clear the confusion. Thanks.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It depends on the user you are and what prints you intend to print.
If you are someone into fine detail and want to extract shadow detail and nuances of color, the P600 has it over the P400.
If you intend to do B&W, the P600 has it over the P400.
Where the P400 fits is for the crowd that prizes "pop" more than "nuance". The graphic artist, illustrator and architectural photography etc.

So if you can define yourself, then the printer suited to your needs are easily determined. The hard part is looking at the mirror.

If funds are tight.
P600 alternative
Find a good used R2880. That is the hidden gem especially if in good shape and it is very versatile and even when the waste ink pad is filled, you can fix that situation easily. Also with the R2880, you can use an external resetter! Take your time and keep your eyes open for deals on 2880s.
P400 alternative.
Do note that the R1900 and R2000 use the same print engine as the P400. So identical output. The R1900 has an advantage of some sorts. You can use an external resetter to minimize purges. However this is counterbalanced a bit by the fact that the R2000 chip ink capacity is greater than the R1900. So with the 2000, you get the domino effect of cart changes that can be avoided by the 1900 with resetter but with more frequent resets. The P400 is like the R2000. ( If you are a lucky soul and have kept the battery powered chips then on the 2000, you can also eliminate the domino as well, in which case the 2000 would be nice. Confused enough?)

Then again, if funds are tight and archival is not needed then do not discount the Canon Pro-100. It kicks butt in the hands of a serious user who knows how to dial it in.
Keep an eye out for Joe's video.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't think there should be much confusion, it all depends ...on your expectations, your prime choice of the paper type, your print volume, your possible plans to use such a printer for other tasks than photo printing , your expenditure limit and some more but the decision wouldn't be easy regardless.
I wouldn't buy the WF-7110 just as a photo printer , it prints pretty fine as I explained in this thread you probably refer to
https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ed-for-photo-printing.10972/page-2#post-97704
There is one 'deficiency' that the pickup roller seems to excite quite some pressure and leaves a trace on some thinner papers, but as always, some people don't see it, some don't care or wouldn't care and weigh that against the much cheaper unit price.
And I did not have a chance yet to compare actual prints of the P400/600 vs. prints with the WF-7110 , to get an impression of the overall look of a print beyond patch prints, profiles etc in comparison. I just don't know whether you could identify a print whether it was printed on one of these printers (assuming that all are adjusted for best output - profiles, driver settings )
The P600 would offer you larger cartridge volumes than those of the P400, and the WF-7110 for the colors.
So I don't think there is a dilemma - rather be glad to have these choices. The P800 is a step up in print width, and the WF-7110 would not run as an alternative in this case. If you plan to upgrade to that print width you are probably aware of the severe limitations for refill at this point of time, and you may be better off with a Pro 3880 and refill supplies - inks and cartridges etc are readily and widely available. Printed images gain presence with growing size, they appear to look better, and once you are printing on a 17" printer you most likely would not go back to smaller formats.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have been looking for used devices, not too diligently, and have not found any. At least in my area.
I am looking for archival, and to be honest I'm not that comfortable with the idea of canon thermal print heads. Though I must admit my hp thermal print head device lasted about a decade.

Last edited:

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
So I don't think there is a dilemma - rather be glad to have these choices.
Choices, I like. Decisions, not so much. Therein lies the problem.
I like the performance of my 3620 and I suspect that it is a fine office printer, but there are times when I put it under a bit of stress. The 7110 seems to be a more robust, and larger, version of the 3620 print engine that would handle the loadi put on the 3620 at times (brochures and rack cards). It also looks like it would handle a low volume of matte prints occasionally.
Ultimately the p800 is not wide enough to do decent sized canvas wraps, and I'm not thrilled with the MK/PK switching. (I have an engineering background so I tend to overthink things...)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Ultimately the p800 is not wide enough to do decent sized canvas wraps,
b830d750e5b25e8dddb25436e194151d_XL.jpg
I guess such a printer would offer a suitable width then...

The WF 3620 and the WF 7110 appear to have the same printhread, so printing speed will be about the same. Do you need the width of the WF-7110 for your printing jobs ? Or is the paper feeding an issue ?

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
View attachment 5954
I guess such a printer would offer a suitable width then...

The WF 3620 and the WF 7110 appear to have the same printhread, so printing speed will be about the same. Do you need the width of the WF-7110 for your printing jobs ? Or is the paper feeding an issue ?
Yeah, but my wife would use me as the media for a test print...

I was looking at the flexibility of the width with the 7110.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I didn't test the WF-7110 for various usability aspects, yes, it is a heavy duty printer and should be able to handle bigger print jobs. And I didn't see problems with feeding heavier photo type printers. The XXL black cartridge comes with 30ml, but if you print with lots of colors you may look for an alternative with larger color ink cartidges instead so that you are not stopped too often in between.

Alan G

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
I suggest looking for an Epson 3880. I've had mine ever since the model came out. It has never had a single clog and I often forget to do a nozzle check. I've had it turned off for as long as four months and it started up and printed like a charm. It has much larger ink cartridges than the 2880 does so your ink costs are lower. It delivers prints with good longevity (the yellow ink is the weakest link in the set). I have a set of images hanging in an office setting. I went back at the 10 year mark this past June to take some light readings and check out the colors for fading and they still look good (lights are on for 14 hours a day). Don't worry about the switching of MK and PK black inks. Yes, you do lose a little ink in the switch over but it's not that big a deal. I most print on matte paper these days anyway. IMO, this is the best printer Epson has ever marketed from a user and stability perspective.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, I find the 3880 to be well loved and kept in my area. No one seems to want to part with any of the live older Epson models...