WF 3640 new firmware update

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
a firmware change may be possible with some maintenance software/utility but that gets charged as well.

techsavvy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX922, WF7610
the 3620/3640 printers can actually detect if you are using non epson carts but will let you continue anyway. they warn about all sorts of dire consequences but don't stop the cartridges from working. still a good idea not to run firmware upgrades because if it aint broke dont fix it. We have a 3640 and 2 7610s (the wide carriage version) going on several years now and all are working with compatible cartridges from Edit: by Moderator

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@techsavvy, What association do you have with the ink supplier you keep mentioning in this and your 2 previous posts. !
Direct promotions are against the rules here...
Moderator... :(

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
the 3620/3640 printers can actually detect if you are using non epson carts but will let you continue anyway. they warn about all sorts of dire consequences but don't stop the cartridges from working...

Yep, I get the messages all the time and just keep pushing forth.

Spencer Hayman

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF-3640
I called Epson customer service directly about the new Firmware Update and the Error I received on my WF-3640. It displayed on the printer an error code of 0x9A. First I just updated it because I was out of the country for two years and the printer was working fine for the last 2 months I have been back in the US before I decided to do the update.

Epson Customer Service is sending me a Refurbished WF-3640 by Fedex at no cost. They did take down my CC for 119.00 if I don't return the old one back to them. They did check and mine is out of warranty but they want to see what was causing this error.

DO NOT TRUST Third Party repair or let Third party get access to your computer (Remote In) EVER to fix your computer issues. They are SCAMing you for money.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
First I just updated it because I was out of the country for two years and the printer was working fine for the last 2 months I have been back in the US before I decided to do the update.
Like with WiFi routers, the only reasons to update firmware of your printer is if it will fix something that is malfunctioning or to add functionality you must have. If the printer ain't broke then don't fix it.
Fortunately you were spared buying a new printer because of Epson's curiosity. :hide

Thanks for telling your story. It is a warning to others that are thinking of doing the same.