Weird MP610 printing problem

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've noticed that if I let my MP610 sit for say a week, the magenta on the nozzle check gets severely discolored. Then it requires a cleaning (at least one, sometimes 2) to get the color normal again. Also notice during the first few cleanings, and definite discoloring of the magenta on the nozzle check printout. I've tried flushing the printhead with water, but the issue keeps creeping back. Also tried 2 other magenta cartridges, without luck.

Anyone have any ideas? Using IS ink from Precision Colors.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
hceuterpe said:
I've noticed that if I let my MP610 sit for say a week, the magenta on the nozzle check gets severely discolored. Then it requires a cleaning (at least one, sometimes 2) to get the color normal again. Also notice during the first few cleanings, and definite discoloring of the magenta on the nozzle check printout. I've tried flushing the printhead with water, but the issue keeps creeping back. Also tried 2 other magenta cartridges, without luck.

Anyone have any ideas? Using IS ink from Precision Colors.
The problem your having is one or more than one of your cartridges has developed a leak and when
left sitting on the purge unit for a while the of inks start to contaminate the nearest cartridge follow by the rest.

So leave your print head alone because its not causing this problem
nor is the magenta cartridge but one of your other ones..

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
How do I go about cleaning this up? My guess is the photo black, as now I think of it, I do recall seeing odd black ink deposits where they should not be.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
hceuterpe said:
How do I go about cleaning this up? My guess is the photo black, as now I think of it, I do recall seeing odd black ink deposits where they should not be.
The Photo black cartridge will need to be removed and replaced or refill again
but this time seal up the refill hole 100% airtight,
99% is not good enough or the same thing will happen again..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The first step is to try what Hat has described. I will hope that will solve the problem as that is the simpler case.
If that does not solve the problem, then the problem is inside the printhead.
Inside the printhead are little troughs of ink just above the nozzles. The inks in these troughs are not supposed to leak into each other and are sealed from each other by a glue seal. Unfortunately when the printhead ages, sometimes the glues gives out and a leak between troughs develops. One color will cross or seep over to the other. Initially this may occur over a period of days and then gets progressively worse. When a head clean is performed, the ink in these troughs are effectively pulled out and refreshed with new pure colored ink. If only one color is having contamination then this usually points to the issue described. Otherwise if it was the initial thought, then other colors will usually get a tinge as well. But there is a possibility of the less serious problem. We shall hope.
In addition to the above there are also some gaskets that seal the printhead ink paths. If it is this, proper disassembly and reassembly might fix it. Now don't go jumping inside the printhead because it is a risky proposition and should only be attempted when all else fails and nothing is to be lost. Improper disassembly or reasssembly will cause the printhead to be permanently damaged as well.

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I cleaned out the printhead. I noticed there was a lot of black ink on the bottom of the print head, near the nozzles (not sure if pigment or dye, looked like dye). I think this happened because I was printing overly color heavy brochures on duplex, to the point it wrinkled the paper. Seems like inkjet duplex and full color on plain paper is not a good idea afterall?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
hceuterpe said:
I cleaned out the printhead. I noticed there was a lot of black ink on the bottom of the print head, near the nozzles (not sure if pigment or dye, looked like dye). I think this happened because I was printing overly color heavy brochures on duplex, to the point it wrinkled the paper. Seems like inkjet duplex and full color on plain paper is not a good idea afterall?
When your printing brochures in duplex it is a good idea to use heavier than normal paper,
it will make them feel and look a lot more professional.

Duplex printings uses a lot less ink than print and turn yourself. (Manual)