WalMart's Canon Special Edition models - ?

drfugawe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my daughter a printer, and I want to teach her to refill as well. I'm noticing that WalMart has the better prices, but I fear that's because they have something called "Special Edition" models, which I suspect have small carts. What I don't want her to have to do is to run out and buy new Canon carts just because the ones that came with the printer are more difficult to fill.

Anyone have any perspective on this?

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
This does not sound good. You will have to post a model number so we know what you are talking about.
It's a safe bet that these are not what you want.
If you want a refillable, resetable Canon, you need to act fast, as Canon has stopped production of the desirable units.
I'll look around and post back if I can find a one.

OK, here is your best vendor for a refillable Canon:
There are some here that you don't want...focus on the printers that use CLI-8/PGI-5BK cartridges such as MP610.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000270038 50001213&page=1&bop=And
There are some recertifieds available at bargain prices if you want to go that route.

drfugawe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jflan,
I think you may be misinterpreting my question - I really just want to know if the Canon printers that WalMart is currently selling as SE models (such as ip2600SE) have smaller ink carts than do Canon's regular models, without the SE designation. However, your response is interesting to me, in that you sound like while I've not been paying attention, the industry may have implemented some other clever ways to keep owners from refilling their own cartridges. Yes?

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
drfugawe said:
jflan,
I think you may be misinterpreting my question - I really just want to know if the Canon printers that WalMart is currently selling as SE models (such as ip2600SE) have smaller ink carts than do Canon's regular models, without the SE designation. However, your response is interesting to me, in that you sound like while I've not been paying attention, the industry may have implemented some other clever ways to keep owners from refilling their own cartridges. Yes?
Sorry about jumping to conclusions, but when you mentioned refilling, I knew that Walmart would not have any stock representing that class of printer.
The SE designation must be a special run for Walmart and what the actual difference is, I don't know. I would bet that it takes the same carts as the iP2600. This type of machine is only useful for very light duty printing and while technically refillable, it is not desirable for that purpose.
The iP2600 color cart is a tri-color, while the CLI-8 printers have individual color carts.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...egoryid=184&modelid=16278#SNAModelSuppliesAct

You are correct in assuming that new countermeasures have been taken. The newer carts that replace CLI-8 are smaller and have a chip that cannot (yet) be reset with an aftermarket resetter.
Here is a look at MP610 which is still available from Newegg:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...egoryid=238&modelid=15604#SNAModelSuppliesAct

I refill a similar Canon cart for about $1.00 a cart

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In certain areas, you may also be able to find an MP 520 and/or an ip3500 - both use the refillable pgi-5 and cli-8 carts. While not as heavy duty as the 610, these are suitable for light to moderate use.