Very disappointed 9000 thread chip resetter

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
Until now because I don't trust so much the resetters I've run everything on ink control disabled.

However reading so much about resetters and so on I ordered various resetters.

Got one for the MX870 ones, one for the 9000 and one very costly for the 9500.

The one for the 870 ones works all ok.

The one for the 9000 doesn't and burned 2 original cartridges already, I tried with the Photo Cyan cartridge and the Black ones.

Sadly I had to get new cartridges for this 2 colours.

Before resetting I followed instructions and all but even if I kept the cartridge on all the time after the 2 subsequent flashes the final one never came and the cartridges chip were ruined.

Now, I will rollback the payment from the seller and give negative review because I've already lost 26 euro of cartridges for this.

Will link the seller, their 9000 resetter don't work:

https://www.ebay.it/i/191938086019

Do you know a trusted source for getting a 9000 resetter in Italy? and the cartridges are lost forever?

Thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The blue resetter looks like a Chinese copy of the original Redsetter. . The original was powered by a CR2032 Lithium coin cell. The first series of Redsetters were very power hungry and the Lithium cell didn't last long. And worse: when the Lithium cell was running low the Redsetter could write distorted data to the chip and ruin it.

If your blue resetter is also battery powered, I suggest to try changing the battery. But most likely a new battery will only make the resetter function again, it will not save the ruined chips.

I suggest to buy the original Redsetter for PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges in the newer USB powered version.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The one for the 9000 doesn't and burned 2 original cartridges already, I tried with the Photo Cyan cartridge and the Black ones.

Sadly I had to get new cartridges for this 2 colours.
Don’t go blaming the seller or the chip resetter for you own incompetence. Read the instructions before use…

These older chip resetters work different to the newer versions of the redsetters, it’s a matter of inserting the cart into the resetter and when the red led light stays on then the chip is reset, don’t wait, remove the cart immediately..
You only need new chips not new cartridges..

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
You are right, I'm incompetent :( and also panicated fastly, it's years I refill and there's always something new to learn. I read the instructions however I'm prone to say there are problems with the battery.

At the end I managed to reset them all but not at the first try.

At beginning it flashed fast and irregularly, after 4-5 tries works correctly and the light stay still.

Not sure if is a matter of battery, tries from the chip resetter to write it properly or so on, now I reset all of them and recovered the damaged chips rewriting them a pair of more times.

Yes in case of damage I would just need new chips I was nervous.

Last edited:

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
I suggest to buy the original Redsetter for PGI-5/CLI-9 cartridges in the newer USB powered version.
Thanks, maybe I will consider buying it too, for now it seems the problem is solved.

What I wanted to ask is: there's the possibility that the printer itself got damaged or in the worst case scenario I just lost the chip?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have also had a few damaged chips. In one case caused by an original Redsetter, early version bought from Germany when it was introduced by the company "Sudhaus". This resetter ruined a couple of CLI-8 chips, until I figured out the problem and attached a battery box with 2 x AA alkaline cells to the bottom of the resetter. The damaged chips could not be restored, but they didn't cause any damage to the printer.

If the Chinese copied this early resetter, the copy may suffer from the same excessive power consumption. Newer versions of the Redsetter use less power and the batteries last longer. It seems that the battery powered resetters are being phased out in favour of USB or mains adapter powered ones.

I have also ruined a chip on an aftermarket CLI-551 M cartridge by spilling ink onto it. I thought I had dried it completely but the chip was ruined when the cartridge was inserted in a printer. Luckily the printer was not damaged by the defective chip.

So I think the risk that a defective chip has damaged your printer is very small.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
At the end I managed to reset them all but not at the first try.

At beginning it flashed fast and irregularly, after 4-5 tries works correctly and the light stay still.
I’m glad you have got the resetter sorted out, no defective cartridge chip can damage your printer but they’ll never work in the printer again..

Now if you PM me with your full postal address, I will send you a new unused chip resetter and it won’t cost you a penny, not even the P&P...:)

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
I’m glad you have got the resetter sorted out, no defective cartridge chip can damage your printer but they’ll never work in the printer again..

Now if you PM me with your full postal address, I will send you a new unused chip resetter and it won’t cost you a penny, not even the P&P...:)
Really man, thanks but I don't want to abuse of your kindness. Also I'm in Italy, kinda far from you.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good news is both you and the resetter function. For some, it can take a few more tries to properly and consistently align the cartridge in the resetter and hold it correctly for the reset to complete. Maybe the problem is due to or compounded by a low battery charge.

The not so good news is your resetter has a limited lifetime - ~100 resets.

Specifiche tecniche:
  • Numero dei reset possibili: ca. 100
Who knows if this is the expected battery life or whether the resetter is progammed to stop resetting after 100 uses. :idunno There have been resetters designed this way for other newer cartridge model chips that use a counter of some sort.

If the issue is low battery charge causing failed resets then the more you try resetting and failing the sooner the number of uses of the resets may be reached and the resetter will be just an ornament on your desk.

Since the charge on the resetter's battery is in question, consider swapping in new fresh batteries to make the most of your resetters life.

FYI: There may be more than 1 battery. Replace all batteries.