Very annoying problem with Yellow!!

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I simply cannot understand it. My first cart (CL-41) lost it's ability to print light yellow, I got two more carts, and now they also lost the ability to print light yellow. When I print a test pattern, I get 6 colors (a light and dark version of each color) plus black. Each color is preceded by a box that goes from black (for dark version) to 'light' black (for the light version of each color)... when my light yellow goes, this 'light' black box turns slightly blue.

What I cannot understand and pisses me off entirely is why this is happening, and why only on light yellow? For 3 carts? And I switched to a different ink after the 1st cart gave way, but still it is happening? I keep a log of each refill and how much ink I plug in per color per refill, and my log shows that yellow only needs about 2-3 cc per refill while cyan and magenta go from 3-5 cc per refill --- so that means I'm not running out of ink, so that shouldn't damage the printhead.

Why is this happening to me? And why just the light yellow color? :mad:

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I can see this possibly happening to a cartridge, but not three. If you know anyone else with a Canon that uses these carts, test these in another printer. That will certainly tell you if the cartridges are O.K., or whether you have a printer problem. What happens when you print a small yellow square as a purge.....do you get lines, or nothing at all?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
alexandereci said:
Why is this happening to me? And why just the light yellow color? :
In view that all 3 carts are suffering in the same way , I would suspect that some of the "light yellow" contact pins in the machine`s cartridge cradle are not making proper contact with the carts contact terminal area.

Or , if there is no apparent outward evidence of damage to the cradle pins....., the circuits beyond the cradle contacts have become compromised in some way.

This is off the top of my head , I have never experienced this particular problem. I would endeavour to examine the cradle contacts (with the help of a torch?), and if bent , try to re-align correctly.

I think the carts are fine...its the machine at fault......if its the circuits beyond the cradle you cannot do much about that unfortunately.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I get a good yellow square. It's the light yellow that's the problem.

I'll take a look at the pins. I sure hope it's just misaligned, I hate to keep buying a new cart. IIRC, it takes about 400+ pages before this problem arises. Which pins are for the yellow color?

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Comparing the pins with the 'marks' or indentations they make on the contact strip on the cartridge, there is no misaligned/bent pin that is not making contact with the strip.

Hmmm... does this cart's printhead have a series of nozzles EXCLUSIVELY for light yellow? Or does it print light yellow just by spacing the 'normal yellow' dots? If it's the former, then I guess those nozzles are damaged. If it's just spacing the normal yellow dots, then something is definitely wrong somewhere and my printhead is not at fault.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I do not have a Canon but I would try uninstalling the driver, reboot and reinstall. That should illuminate a corrupt driver.
Try printing a couple of A4 photos in best quality to give the nozzles a good workout.

Terry

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I got me some 'used' carts, and with 'rehabilitation,' they worked out fine. So that eliminates the defective pins and driver theory.

I think the 'take the top off' method is the culprit, this time I'm refilling through holes on top of the cart. Here's to crossing my fingers.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
alexandereci said:
I think the 'take the top off' method is the culprit, this time I'm refilling through holes on top of the cart. Here's to crossing my fingers.
I am curious as to why you think the "top off" method could be the reason for your problem?
I have been using the "top off" method for nearly a year now with the same carts with none of the problems you describe.

If you leave the fill hole "open", there is no difference in pressure/vacuum than with the top off. If you are sealing the holes after refill, then that could have a bearing, -------( what exactly I am not sure.)

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'm thinking since I take the top off, returning it in place via rubber band or sticky tape still does not return the top on the "original" position. This variation causes me to have different "settings" each time I have to realign the cartridges --- maybe this also causes the pins not to be aligned with the contact strips sometimes.

Maybe this 'loss of alignment' causes damage to the printhead, so this theory I'm testing by not taking the top off. So it's not an issue of vacuum or pressure but one of alignment between the cart and the pins.

Because the 'light yellow' problem got fixed with a new cart, the problem isn't in the driver or the contact pins, but somewhere between the cart and the pins.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
alexandereci said:
Because the 'light yellow' problem got fixed with a new cart, the problem isn't in the driver or the contact pins, but somewhere between the cart and the pins.
Ok , I see what you are saying , and your reasons for trying " top -on " . The reasons could be valid, incorrect seating in the cradle of the cart because of obstruction / deviance caused by a rubber band.

I am always careful to apply the band at a 45 degree angle to the cart, the botton is tucked just behind the head (in the "step up" ), then to the top rear of the cart with the edge touching the horn tips of the finger ridge.

I ensure there are no twists in the band and that the band is perfectly flat all the way round.

An alternative to the band is sticky tape provided its only 1 turn around, but I prefer the elastic band.

When inserting the cart I make sure it is clicking in "ok" , with gentle movements from side to side to help it along. I have to admit that you can feel the band is there when it eventually clicks in but to date this does not appear to cause a problem.
Good luck with "top-on" anyway......