Using Mismatched hardware for effect

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
I pupose-built a camera from mismatched hardware to get specific and unique results. The rig is built around a Betterlight Super 6KHS trilinear sensor with a 72x96 mm capture area. This is slightly smaller than the legacy 4x5 inch or 101x127mm film format. Lenses throw a circular image. Usually a film format is matched to a lens to provide a rectangular capture. In my case I can make use of the lense's inherent image circle and speed characteristics to capture images not possible with traditional methods. I chose medium format Zenzanon lenses adapted to a lightweight stainless 1 piece 4x5 Globuscope. In addition, a custom bracket, camera mount and Betterlight's own pano adapter are used to make interesting images. First I will post a picture of the rig and then I will post a couple images. A circular fisheye and a non-stitched pano made in just over a minute.
50 mm shift.jpg

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
And the image

The Super 6 K HS fits into the [large format] camera under the ground glass very much like a 4x5 film cassette. The difference is that the scanning back scans much like a miniature flat bed scanner instead of an quick exposure on a piece of film.
The round image was made with a 30 mm Bronica Zenzanon fisheye lens - 645 [medium format]. It throws an image circle which fits inside the 72x96 mm capture area. It took about 30 seconds to make the exposure.

Hope well Rock.jpg

Last edited:

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
BTW This image is 300dpi x 7 feet long
I would label this as a [false colour] infrared image

The cyan-blue-green filter is an infrared filter used to bring the sensor response in line with human vision. When a scan is made without the IR filter the scan then becomes an infrared image.

In the case of the pano image the tri-linear sensor is locked into the middle of the capture area. Then a step motor rotates the whole camera. This image took over a minute to scan. [93.5 seconds]

The image was balanced to make the sepia-cyan colours and the white snow-like areas on the mountain are actually sun drenched trees that the infrared sensor picked up as brighter spots.
Cowbay Infared .jpg

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't understand it all but I know what I like.

Crazy good images! :clap

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
Thanks,
Tools don't make the photographer, however, understanding tools and honing ones skills to make your tools bend to your will and to the will of your minds eye will make ones images better.

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
The scan back uses both "Line Time"and "ISO" to adjust exposure. Useful line times are 1/8 ---1/240. It correlates as 8 lines per second through to 240 lines per second. Large Format lenses have a typical slow f:5.6 or f:8 lens opening. This is one of the reasons I chose the Medium Format faster lenses usually f:2.8 or f:3.5. The 2 stop nudge in capture speed helps to prevent or to reduce "Motion Artifacts". The trilinear sensor is made up of 3 strips each with a filter - R G or B. As such one records RGB values at a slightly different time.
Motion Artifacts can be quite interesting. Here is a happy accident where a small group of joggers were running at the perfect speed to become discombobulated.
30b.jpg

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
I should add that the Super 6K HS scans at 216 Mega Pixels without interpolation and in the case of panos without stitching. These large high resolution files allow for big beautiful prints. This is a copy rig which employs a
Large format 8x10 inch lens.
_DSC2002.jpg

Last edited:

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
Another image;
Interesting story. I was weed whacking and I caught a stone. It took fight and then took out the glass pane on the next door neighbours deck. As the sun started to set I seized the opportunity to place my pano rig in that very opening which was accidentally created. Then five minutes to set up and 99.99 seconds to scan.
1720 Pritchard #5g.jpg