Using an old printer

raggamuffin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Here's the monitor I have. This review seems to reference a lot of info about colours and things I don't really understand.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/gigabyte-g32qc/3

I checked on the Adobe site and they said:

"Neither online calibration software nor the calibration tools that come with your Windows or Mac operating system will help you obtain accurate color. These programs rely on your eye, and eyes are subjective. For objectively accurate color, you need to use a colorimeter."

Are these expensive? Do people on here use them or have experience with them?

Ed

raggamuffin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Actually, scratch that. The monitor on my Macbook Pro is a lot better. But I'd rather keep costs down if I can calibrate it myself without needing to buy more things.

Ed

The Ninth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-1000
Actually, scratch that. The monitor on my Macbook Pro is a lot better. But I'd rather keep costs down if I can calibrate it myself without needing to buy more things.

I am afraid Adobe is right, you do need a measuring device to properly calibrate and profile your monitor. And doing that is important for any kind of image editing, but especially for printing.

Personally I am using an Eizo monitor with a built-in measuring device, so I cannot recommend a device, but for 150-250 $ you should be able to get something decent from Datacolor or X-Rite.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
You won't get anything from Datacolor but a nice paper weight. For that kind of money the only reasonable option is the X-rite i1-Display Pro.
The ideal would be a monitor with hardware calibration capabilities. like the Eizo of The Ninth. Quite expensive but worth the price, IMHO.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I've been keeping an eye out for i1Pro related stuff and they are selling on eBay.co.uk for between £150 and £400 depending on condition and who's bidding.

raggamuffin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
So these will ensure the colours seen on the screen will be accurately portrayed when it comes to printing?

I found the X-Rite EODIS3PL i1Display Pro Plus for £183 from a website.

Ed

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So these will ensure the colours seen on the screen will be accurately portrayed when it comes to printing?
I use an Ezio FlexScan HD 2241W monitor, that has served me well over the years, but there are cheaper options out there too.. and accurate colour reproduction will never come cheap..

The Ninth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-1000
That is the idea, or at least as close as possible. In practice there will always be perceived differences between screen and print, especially if you do not have full control of the viewing conditions of the print. In theory you‘d have a viewing booth/room, with only neutral colored walls and a light source with a known, neutral color temperature. The monitor would be calibrated to the same color temperature.

In practice this is not achievable for most users, and also besides the point because the print will not be displayed in that neutral environment. But still, calibrating and profiling your monitor will bring you reasonably close to the print output.

Important is also the calibration aspect. Compared to „normal“ screen use, this would typically mean setting the monitor to a lower brightness of 80-120 cd/sqm and a warmer color temperature of around 5000K. Calibrating to that brightness and temperature is independent of profiling the monitor and you‘d have to check if your monitor supports it.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Last edited:

raggamuffin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Thank you for all the detailed replies and the links provided.

I wonder if you could recommend a budget friendly printer which would be suitable to get used to the ins and outs of printing before I get Big Bertha (my Pro-1) out of storage and start using that.

I want a printer that's capable of doing good quality prints of my photos which I can frame and sell. But also one that doesn't drink ink, and is affordable when it comes to replacement inks?

I can see that the Canon PIXMA TS6350 comes highly rated and is under £200 which seems reasonable to me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Ed

Latest posts