Updating Printer Drivers whilst using refill Carts?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I am getting messages from my Driver manager that there is a new Driver available for the 3880........sounds good! or is it?

Update with 3rd party carts installed?
Install OEM's then install?
Just do not bother till there is a driver problem that the PRINTER tells me about?

I guess I should know the answer...........but I'm too :cool: :lol:

Cheers,

Andrew

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you have 3rd party cartridges installed in your printer and I assume you have
and your printer is working perfectly well.

There should be no need to update the print driver as it might come with a sting in its tail
and it might not, but are you willing to take the chance on it.

Canon have frigged with some of my print drivers a while ago (Sneakily) and now my printers
are not all singing from the same hymen sheet.:he

I know its usually only firmware upgrades that can cause problems but I still say dont do it.. :rant

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
The Hat said:
If you have 3rd party cartridges installed in your printer and I assume you have
and your printer is working perfectly well.

There should be no need to update the print driver as it might come with a sting in its tail
and it might not, but are you willing to take the chance on it.

Canon have frigged with some of my print drivers a while ago (Sneakily) and now my printers
are not all singing from the same hymen sheet.:he

I know its usually only firmware upgrades that can cause problems but I still say dont do it.. :rant
I have Cone carts in the 3880, but I also have a spare unused set of OEM carts...........I read SOMEWHERE, that a driver update caused havoc with the 3rd party inks installed. I also read that upgrades often had such a sting.......BUT I am now thinking that was Firmware that they were talking about. Its a bugger not being able to remember exactly tho.......still my gut feel is not to upgrade. I will keep an eye on the forum chatter, there are plenty of 3880 users out there that are also on non-OEM so if someone does and it hits the fan I have avoided the issue by fence sitting!!!

Thanks,

Andrew