Unclogging a printhead when nothing else works.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Quite by accident, I have found a new way of unclogging 2 stubborn Canon printheads after trying every method mentioned here without success. Too bad I discovered this AFTER buying replacement printheads from Canon, one for an i-860, the other an ip3000.

I took one of the "dead" printheads from the ip3000, which had the BCI-3 black and BCI-6 cyan completely plugged. After rinsing, them in the kitchen sink, I peeled off the rubber ring from both ink ports. I then placed the printhead in a solution of warm Windex in a soup bowl. Taking some old clear plastic tubing I had in a box of leftover aquarium parts, I placed the end of the tube over the BCI-3 port and tried to suck some Windex up through the metal screen. At first, Nothing. I tried 3-4 times and eventually some Windex came up the straw, along with some black ink. (I was amazed how difficult this was considering I have been told that I was a good sucker). Seriously, after sucking some up, then blowing it back down a few times, the nozzle eventually opened, and I was able to print a sample page in black for the first time in a long time.
Using a smaller clear plastic hose, did the same with the cyan, and wonder of wonders, the printhead now prints perfectly.

Same success with the 2nd printhead. The new ones are back in the boxes, awaiting their turn. I'm just saying, it is worth a try before buying a new printhead. It would be great if someone who has a badly plugged printhead would try this method and post results here.

Remember, this might take 2-3 times, but it is worth a trial and I'd like to see other people's experiences.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Good idea Manuchau.

Vinyl tubing for canon print head ports.

The small ports take 5/16OD x 3/16ID tubing.

The large black port takes 7/16OD x 5/16ID tubing.

In the US most hardware stores sell the vinyl tubing by the foot.

Edit: Sorry Manuchau got carried away and posted too much..

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
How do you recommend people who try this method wash the printhead afterwards and how should they make sure it is thoroughly dry before putting it back in the printer?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Afterwards, I just ran cold water from the tap onto the screens for a minute or 2. Then I held the printhead tightly and shook it a few times. Water does come out of the bottom, but most gets shaken out. I put the cartridges back in, ran a cleaning cycle and did a nozzle check. The BCI-3 blk pattern was almost perfect. The cyan was fine right off the bat. One more cleaning cycle, and the next test pattern was perfect. One week and many prints later, the 2 old printheads are still printing well.

Thanks for the specific details, Ron. I hope it helps someone here.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
ghwellsjr said:
How do you recommend people who try this method wash the printhead afterwards and how should they make sure it is thoroughly dry before putting it back in the printer?
I use this method too. I use distilled water so no electrical problems :) But you still need to shake the water out.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry no go on my 3500. See my post under "failed to unclog". Electrical I think for sure as nozzles spray when pressured. Great suggestion though and I will certainly bear this in mind if (and when) there is a next time.
Doug