Umax scanner locks up... needs oil?

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I thought I'd post this question here, since there are so many knowledgable technicians around.

I have a Umax pre-press scanner that originally retailed for $3k. It makes awesome scans... much better than the newer less expensive Epson I have.

The problem is that the scanner motor keeps locking up. It seems that unless I turn it on and off every single day, it will eventually just lock up.
When it locks up I have to take apart the scanner and remove the electric motor and turn it by hand a few times to break it free.
Then I've tried adding drops of oil to get down inside the motor to get it loosened up.

After this operation it ran okay for about 2 weeks... but then it locks up again.

Does anyone who knows about small electric motors know of a better approach I might try?
I don't want to spend $1500 for an equivalent new professional model scanner.

Thanks for any tips..

:)

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
The company still appears to be in business. Have you contacted them about buying a replacement motor?

When you turn the motor by hand, is it difficult to turn?
If the motor is difficult to turn, the problem is probably dry bearings (as you have already surmised). If the motor can't be taken apart, there's not a lot that you can do about getting oil to the rear bearing.
If the motor is easy to turn, the problem may be worn brushes (assuming that it has them). Are they replaceable? Even if they are, the commutator may be worn/glazed/scored/etc. A new motor is usually the best solution for this problem.

Can you post a photo of the motor? How many lead wires does it have?

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks! The motor has 3 lead wires. It puts up a noticeable resistance when trying to turn it by hand. It seemed to loosen up a little after I oiled what I could.

I'll have to look at it closer. The thing is I suspect it's just rusted from lack of use... since it often sits for months without being used. I use a difference scanner for my everyday scans and only used this scanner for high end color scans. I understood that this pre-press Umax was built like a tank to withstand years of daily use. So I guess it's downfall has been lack of use.

I don't have any photos just now, but it looks like an ordinary electric motor. Can't see the brushes without taking it apart... which I was a bit afraid to do.

I'll look into a replacement motor. Thanks again!

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks... I've never seen that before. I'm sure it'd be useful working all around the house and car too.