Ugh, pay better attention when ordering replacement cartridges!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Back during "Cyber Monday" I got excited when I saw a "lightning deal" for 3 replacement cartridges for my Brother laser printer. I didn't need a new cart yet, but figured I'd take advantage of the sale.

I made the purchase and put the carts in my closet waiting to be used.

Fast-forward 2 months and my printer stopped printing... needing more toner and a new cart.

I opened one up, tried to slide it into the drum... it wouldn't fit. I couldn't understand why I was having such a hard time.

So I compared it to my old one. Close, but obviously not the same.

Turns out I got the TN-660 and not the TN-360... which is the one I needed.

Now it's too late to return them :(

Until writing this I was thinking about just donating them, but now I'm debating if I should dump the toner from the 660 into my 360. I'm assuming the toner is probably exactly the same.....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So I compared it to my old one. Close, but obviously not the same.
The toner in both printers will be the same but before you can refill the original cart you first must insure all the remaining toner has been removed,.. Ouch, the old and new toners doesn’t like to mix… and what about the cart chips ?..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ya, I think I'm just going to donate these and buy replacements.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
No chips on my Brother HL-L5000D. You reset the toner counter simply by removing the side lid of the cartridge, lifting a spring and relocating the reset gear to ‘zero’.
I’ve been refilling this printer for some time now. Quite cheap when you purchase bulk powder from Ali-Express but, yes, refilling toner is a tiresome and dirty task. As @The Hat said, you need to remove first all the old toner powder. Depending on the internal structure of the cartridge, it might be more or less difficult but always a chore.
Pouring new toner in the cartridge often ends up with small clouds of toner floating around, no matter how careful you are. It’s one of these instances where you really need to wear gloves, glasses and a mask.