Tubes for ink waste tank? Canon IX6820

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
Hello, I own two IX6820 printers, one is new and the other was bought used and will be my test machine. On this used printer, I would like to install a waste tank.

I found a video of the process for another Canon printer:
https://youtu.be/WBQqfuXdMAE

Do you know the diameter of those small plastic tubes they use? What about the « joints », where can I find them?

Also, I didn’t find a service manual for IX6820, it must be hell to tear it appart

Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would like to install a waste tank.
Firstly, I ask is it worth all the trouble to fit a potty to this printer, if you can’t reset the waste ink counter then it’s pointless, secondly if you go turning the printer upside down to carry out the job then any waste ink inside the printer will spill out.

You can visit a pet shop that caters for aquarium fish supply’s, they will have a range of connectors and tubing, but only if you know the size your looking, so you’ll need to have the printer apart first..

This would be a better option because you can get all the necessary items and advise here at this website:- https://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/Waste-Ink-Solutions/Single-Tube{47}Solo-Kits/

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The printer is of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation. No service manuals have been found on the web for these and newer printers.

Entering service mode is possible using the "press resume five times" procedure. For service mode operations you need a service tool v4720 or newer. A download of this tool is found here. Warning: this tool might contain malware, or the warnings might be false positives. Use at your own risk.

The use of an older service tool like the v3400 will cause lock up of service mode, meaning it will no longer be accessible.

I have used this tool on an MG5450S and an iP7250 that are of the same cartridge generation as the iX6820. Notice my use of an old dedicated computer to keep the dubious service tool away from my main computer.

I think the iX6820 can enter service mode and have its ink absorber counter resat. You could test the service tool on your test printer before investing time and money in external ink containers.

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
The printer is of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation. No service manuals have been found on the web for these and newer printers.

Entering service mode is possible using the "press resume five times" procedure. For service mode operations you need a service tool v4720 or newer. A download of this tool is found here. Warning: this tool might contain malware, or the warnings might be false positives. Use at your own risk.

The use of an older service tool like the v3400 will cause lock up of service mode, meaning it will no longer be accessible.

I have used this tool on an MG5450S and an iP7250 that are of the same cartridge generation as the iX6820. Notice my use of an old dedicated computer to keep the dubious service tool away from my main computer.

I think the iX6820 can enter service mode and have its ink absorber counter resat. You could test the service tool on your test printer before investing time and money in external ink containers.

Hello,

I have found the service manual for Canon 6500 series, which is identical to the 6800 seeries, so the tear down process looks the same!

I bought 4mm aquarium pipes on aliexpress and will install them as soon as the printer displays the infamous 5b00 error!
I currently have the service tool v5103, could it cause a locking of the service mode? Is this version safe for Canon 6800 series?

Thanks !

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Best tubes are silicon fuel hoses for radio controlled aircraft.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
.....I have found the service manual for Canon 6500 series, which is identical to the 6800 seeries, so the tear down process looks the same!
The two printer series are not identical, they belong to different cartridge generations. They use different cartridges with different dimensions and the print heads and print head carriages are also physically different. But maybe apart from that the printers are so similar that the manual is useful for disassembly? Please report.

The suggested service tool v2000 cannot be used for the iX6820. I would suggest v4720 but as v5103 is newer and is claimed to work with iX series, iX6840, I guess it also works with iX6820, but I don't know, I haven't tried that service tool. Please report your results so we can all learn more about the newer printers and service tools.

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
The two printer series are not identical, they belong to different cartridge generations. They use different cartridges with different dimensions and the print heads and print head carriages are also physically different. But maybe apart from that the printers are so similar that the manual is useful for disassembly? Please report.

The suggested service tool v2000 cannot be used for the iX6820. I would suggest v4720 but as v5103 is newer and is claimed to work with iX series, iX6840, I guess it also works with iX6820, but I don't know, I haven't tried that service tool. Please report your results so we can all learn more about the newer printers and service tools.

The procedure was identical to the IX6500 series except there is a weird sensor / chip you have to unscrew before taking the printer's top cover :

img55.jpg

This is where it is located. To open the plastic door, use a needle and slide to the left.

Edit:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for the report.

So apart from the ink sensor (?) the disassembly instruction in the iX6500 series service manual also can be used with the iX6800 series printers? Maybe a warning that the little sensor board might be static sensitive should be added?

The iX6500 series service manual is found here.

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
Thanks for the report.

So apart from the ink sensor (?) the disassembly instruction in the iX6500 series service manual also can be used with the iX6800 series printers? Maybe a warning that the little sensor board might be static sensitive should be added?

The iX6500 series service manual is found here.

I don't know if it's prone to damage due to static electricity, I touched it while the printer was on, and so far it seems ok, but I don't have ink cartdriges at the moment so can't test if all is ok.

The main issue is I almost ripped the cable while pulling the top cover because I had no idea there was this hidden chip here. It's well hidden and I actually found it by using my smartphone's flash light to see the electric wire inside!

Latest posts