Try to repair? Or buy new printer?

Miss M

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi! I'm so glad I found this forum!! I'm faced with possibly replacing my printer, and I was lost as to how to find one that I could easily refill.

First off, about the printer I currently have. It's a Dell A960, and I love it. It's about five years old, and came with a computer we bought (not going that route again, but I digress...). It prints beautifully, scans beautifully, is versatile, and is easily refilled -- no maneuvering tiny stickers on the contacts to fool the printer, just a simple "Is this a new or old cartridge?"

It gets a hard workout every year as I print family calendars on it... about 22 of them, in fact. Full-color, best quality, on heavy cardstock. Everyone loves them, and they come out better on my A960 than they did either of the two times I tried taking it to have it professionally done. And, I did the math, and doing it myself is cheaper anyway... including the cost of cartridges, cardstock, refill ink, and having them bound.

Before starting my calendar print, I buy a new set of Dell cartridges *ouch* which have finer print quality than third-party cartridges. I refill them as I print the calendars, and they are usually pretty worn out by the time I'm done (though this year I only made it to three refills before the blue burned out). For the rest of the year, I normally use third-party cartridges because the Dell ones are hard to afford. I refill those, too, until they die.

I do sometimes use the printer to print photos, which it does nicely.

My problem is that shortly before I started printing calendars this year, the printer started making quiet sqeaking noises as the carriage moves back and forth, mostly when it starts moving from one side or the other. I have no real idea what is squeaking, but I can only assume that, after five years, it's wearing out and something inside may break soon. Thankfully, it made it through printing all the calendars this year.

I have never been able to figure out how to disassemble the printer, so I have no idea how to find out what is wrong with it.

Is it worth trying to save a printer that has been frequently used for some five years? Or do I go ahead and replace it?

And if I replace it, what printers might I look into? I feel I seriously lucked out with this printer, since I didn't know anything about it when I got it. I need a printer that:

* Has good print quality (enough to print pictures on, though not necessarily lab-quality)
* Has ink tanks instead of integrated print heads on the cartridges (the only real downfall of the A960)
* Is easily refilled
* Can take heavy cardstock (which I figure disqualifies front-loaders)
* Has a flatbed scanner (no document feeder needed) - family of 4 in an apartment, I need to save space!
* Preferably has more affordable cartridges/ink tanks (I'd be willing to pay a bit more on the front in order to pay less on the consumables). But if they are as expensive as the Dell's are, I'll live... I'll just handle it as I have with the Dell, only buying the OEM once a year right before calendar printing time.

I just wasn't sure how I was going to find an easily refillable printer before I found this forum, since that feature isn't exactly something they advertise. *sigh* I was introduced to difficult refilling by my mother's HP. Refilling was a long process that involved a series of three stickers per cartridge; a routine with which I am sure y'all are already quite familiar.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me! Sorry to post a new thread, but the other threads I found about buying a printer were old, so those printers probably aren't sold anymore. Plus, with the situation about my Dell A960... there was no thread on that printer here. :)

JoePineapples

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum

It's sounds like you have some dust in the printer and it's gumming up the bar that the printhead rides on/or the grease has gone
I don't know this printer however if you can see the bar that the printhead runs on I'm sure you can clean/lub it

Use a air duster and a soft clean brush to remove any dust

Don't use tissues just a piece of cloth and never apply the oil directly to the bar just put some on a cloth and rub the bar

(As for oil I would use light machine oil like the stuff for sewing machines)

Joe

Miss M

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Wow... that would be so wonderful if that's the only thing wrong! My husband has light machine oil for his model trains, so I can just steal some of his ;) . I will open it up probably tomorrow and see if I can see that bar you are talking about. I hope so!

What is the life expectancy of a somewhat maintained printer? I have reached inside as well as I could a couple of times to clean it up... it isn't that easy.

Thank you, thank you!

Miss M

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
That picture is great! I wouldn't have known what to search for. My husband doesn't have any dry lube, but he does have light machine oil. He says it should take just one drop for the whole bar.

Should I clean the encoder strip while I'm in there, like the other people in that thread were doing? Or is that something I should do only if I get that error code?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I would not touch, clean, or otherwise mess with the encoder strip until you get the error code or until you have problems printing that could be blamed on a problem with it.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you can get some Triflow, a spray silicone lubricant, spray a small amount on a cloth or lintless paper towel and just wipe the bar with it. My locksmith friend uses this stuff as it doesn't attract dirt or dust which would gum up locks. Great for all types of light lube needs.

JoePineapples

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
just as ghwellsjr said it's better not to touch the encoder strip it's can cause very weird problems if damaged

Joe

Miss M

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Okie dokie, I will leave the encoder strip alone! Getting printer now...

Miss M

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL! Thank you all! I did go with the light machine oil, because my husband uses a tiny bit on his model train rails and has no trouble with them gunking up. I did some other cleaning while I was in there (I don't do it often because it's so difficult). Amazing how much ink was on that bar... while still looking clean and shiny! I let my husband apply the oil because I was afraid I would drip the stuff in there. I just printed a test page, and it squeaked on the first few passes, but then began getting quieter and quieter with each pass. No more squeaking! Yay! :)

(I was just re-reading and saw the part about not applying the oil directly to the bar but smearing it on with a cloth instead... I forgot that part! I'm sorry! Thankfully, my husband applied it with no drips, and then smeared it around the bar.)

Thank you all for saving my printer! Any idea how much more time I can reasonably expect from a 5-year-old printer? My husband said probably up to another two years.