Trouble resetting OEM T58 carts (Epson Pro 3800/3880)

J.Emmett Turner

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 3880; CR-10; C250DN; E809a
I’m aware that you need to reset these carts before they get too low or else they will not reset, but I’m finding that LK, LLK, and VLM will not reset even when they are near full.

I bought a second set of OEM empties that were already reset and preconfigured for refilling (one-way valve defeated). I ran them through my chip resetter just to see how it handled them and, once again, all of them reset except for LK, LLK, and VLM - the same ink colors I couldn’t reset from my other set. To make sure they were actually reset I filled and installed the LK and LLK carts. They do register 100%, though I will not be able to reset them as they empty.

The other 6 carts from each set all give me the typical flickering light that blanks momentarily before showing a green light but these three just flicker and settle on a red light without blanking. I noticed that someone wrote an X on those 3 carts, so it’s very likely that this was known. I doubt it’s a coincidence that only those three carts got the X.

It just seems like this chip resetter does not reset those particular ink carts/colors. Ever heard of this? I also have another LK spare that doesn’t reset though it could be because of the level (I think it’s around 25%).

This is the chip resetter I got:

UniPrint Maintenance Tank Chip Resetter For Epson Stylus Pro 3800 3800C 3850 3880 3890 3885 Printer Chip Resetter Reset OEM Chip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRDHQJX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uJabCbGATG3QD

It works fine for MK, PK, C, VM, LC, Y, and the maintenance tank/waste cartridge.

If I need a different chip resetter, what do you guys recommend? Thanks!

J.Emmett Turner

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 3880; CR-10; C250DN; E809a
OK, after rewatching 10+ of José Rodriguez’s videos I finally found one where he says that the older style with the self-aligning design (like mine) sometimes has problems with “Light Magenta and a couple of the grays.”
https://youtu.be/VDR0hLAKYpQ
Around the 4 minute mark.

Guess I need a new chip resetter.