totally blank nozzle checks Epson 1430

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
I haven't had printer problems for months until now. I have a 1430 "in mothballs", the carts are filled with Piezoflush. No offense to those who use other cleaning fluids! To the best of my knowledge Piezoflush makes a good mothball technique. Once a month, in fact one time it was seven weeks I run a nozzle check and every time the check was perfect. This am two carts had a missing dash. Not serious but I ran another check and it was totally blank! I ran a cleaning cycle, nozzle check was again totally empty. Did another cleaning or two, same results. I pulled the carts and they had plenty of ink. I quite running cleaning, I know it's not a good idea to overdo the cleaning.

This is highly unusual... any thoughts? Thank you!

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks @Ink stained Fingers. I've used that technique (sparingly!) on a single cart with some success but not with all six. After thinking about that for a while I recalled a method that consisted of removing the filler plug of the problem cart running the cleaning cycle. This worked well for one cart, why not for all six? So I did that and the nozzle check was no longer totally blank. Signs of life showed at each position. Then I recalled another technique: time. Be patient. So I let the printer sit for a few hours, ran a check, much better. Another few hours almost perfect, two carts showed just a single dash. I'll let it sit overnight and it should be all clear.

Sorry to take a pass on your technique, I confess to some laziness! Still... what would cause a totally blank check in all six positions, after months of perfect checks?

Not a guru,

Paul

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
One thing to be sure of... Check that you haven't left the vent plug in and/or that the vent isn't clogged.

I "may" have done that once or twice myself... :he

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
@websnail :

There was a saying I learned in the days of DOS: SPSF (Sound of Palm Smiting Forehead).

I think you've nailed it. It's too late for me to try it now. But here's the excuse for my stupidity:

Those carts have never had ink in them, they were strictly for storage of Piezoflush (or other storage liquids), therefore all ports, fill and air had plugs installed. And when I pulled the fill plugs I totally missed the air intake plugs. Yep, they were installed. And sure enough, when I looked at the carts in my 1400 printer, the air vents were all open. Maybe I should leave the plugs uninstalled, even in storage. Should I?

I hope y'all will cut me some slack. As I said earlier, a printer guru I am not.

Paul

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, I would, and checking after some months if the cleaner is leaking away

OK... I've now removed the air intake plugs, and I've run a nozzle check. Excellent check, one cart has a dash missing and those usually go away with time. Probably just a temporary air bubble.

Sheesh.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
@websnail :

There was a saying I learned in the days of DOS: SPSF (Sound of Palm Smiting Forehead).
Never learned that one but oh boy do I know that sound :)

Maybe I should leave the plugs uninstalled, even in storage. Should I?
Possibly not as you don't want dust or crud in there... Personally I'd just put a little note rubber banded on them when in storage... "Plugs!"

I hope y'all will cut me some slack. As I said earlier, a printer guru I am not.
Allow me to give you a tour of the aluminium framed monuments with their mosaic glass surrounds that give lie to our "Expert" taglines... We simply learned from our mistakes and sound really smart when we point them out to others... well... sometimes.

Trust us... we're just glad we aren't alone in the dunce corner ;)

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
@websnail :

Thanks much for your consolation... I feel better already!

(strange, I didn't get an email that I had comments in this thread... oh well)