Topfill method with Cli-521, what to do now?

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello The Hat!

You are right, the electrician tape really sucks when used on the exit hole (I had leakages on 3 of 5 cartridges), next time I will surely try to use the genuine orange caps.

Sorry but I do not understand exactly why even if the cartridges weight is quite lower/different from the standard weight, I do not have to take care of this. I think that it's an issue, maybe something gone wrong?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Weight is only an issue when you can’t see how much ink is in each cartridge, visual inspection when filling is best..

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
Just read this thread and found it helpful!
I've just started to try this method and I'm finding the ink is coming out of the fill hole on the second fill after the half way fill:barnie. Is this normal?

My carts were also flushed a week ago and the sponge doesn't seem to be changing colour with the ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
When using the top fill method, only fill the reservoir side of the cartridges up to 75% and that way it can’t overfill on you, it will work perfectly well without filling it to the top.

Now if cartridge sponge wont take up any ink it’s because it has become too dry and if you upturn the cartridge and put a half dozen drops of alcohol or distilled water onto the outlet sponge then leave it for 5 minutes to soak in and then try refilling again.

Please remember to place the orange clip back onto the outlet hole again before commencing your refilling, and most important of all is to seal the refill hole air 100% tight.

Reactions: Ash

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Is it a problem when the sponge is not fully saturated all the way to the top? I always fill up (top filling method) by looking at the ink chamber. I don't check the sponge.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The sponge is not suppose to be fully saturated all the way to the top but it usually does in most cases and causes no harm but please don't try to overfill the reservoir side of your cartridges..

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
They look OK this morning. I'm guessing the cart sponge may have fully dried out from when I flushed them. All good info guys, Thanks.