Topfill method with Cli-521, what to do now?

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I tried to refill with the topfill method my first 2 cartridges.

The situation is the following (check the pictures).

image1mvr.jpg

imagekcw.jpg

It seems that the sponge do not want ink anymore. It's passed a bit of time but the colored part of the sponge is still more or less the same.

Should I remove the electrician tape from the exit hole?

Let me know ASAP, thank you!

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Beautiful pictures! How much do they weigh? You should add more ink in the ink chamber. If you tilt the cartridge at a 45 degree angle, sponge up, the ink chamber will take more ink.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I do not understand. I must tilt at 45 with sponge up?? Maybe you wanted to say down?

How much they should weight fully filled?

EDIT:

I had to shake down with force the cartridge at 45 degrees (BTW the same position that the cartridge has when is on the redsetter). I saw that some droplets (water maybe) came out from the vent hole.

I added ink to reach 20.4gr-20.5gr, now I must wait or the exit hole can be opened ?

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
When I fill up brand "new" (flushed and never refilled), I leave the air vent uncovered after filling and let them sit for a week. During that time, tthe ink level in the chamber will go down, slowly migrating to the sponge. After a week, I remove the plug and top off the cart. This is just for the first fill, it will be fine for subsequent refills. This might not be practical if you only have one set of carts. I rotate three sets in my IP4500.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
@Radeon89

45 degrees with sponge up and ink chamber down, like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQc44AbPEZw

20,4-20,5g is perfect, just be careful when you remove the tape from the exit hole (ink may drip a bit)

Why did you have to shake the cartridge?

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
before you use them (just before you insert them into the printer) make sure the outlet port sponge is fully saturated with ink, if its not gently blow on the vent till a drop of ink comes out, then its good to insert provided ink is not dripping out constantly.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I resume this thread because I am having issues with my third kit of cartridges.

It's the first time that I refill this kit.

The weight of the two black cartridges just refilled as much as I could are respectively 32.2 and 18.7 grams. Is it normal? It's the first time that I found weights quite different from the standard weights.....

BTW the air vent and the exit hole of the cartridges are still closed (cartridges are currently resting from 1 hour), I have also placed the plug into the refilling hole as the normal procedure wants.

Awaiting for your feedbacks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Per forum member extraordinaire PeterBJ:

Using an inexpensive digital scale with 0.1 g resolution and no accuracy specified I found these weights for an unused set of OEM PGI-520/CLI-521 set of cartridges. The weights are without the orange clip and vent sealing tape.

PGI-520 PGBK: 35.3 grams, CLI-521 C: 20.3 grams, CLI-521 M: 20.2 grams, CLI-521 Y: 20.2 grams, CLI-521 BK: 20.4 grams.

For full post see http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/weight-of-cli-226-pgi-225-cartridges.6969/

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There was probably some misunderdtanding, I am aware of the weights of a full refilled cartridges.
What I do not understand is the strange weights that I have found for the two black cartridges.
The cartridges weights are respectively 32.2 and 18.7 grams, the electrician tape and the plug have already been substracted from that values.

Let me know if something it is not clear.

Hope someone can help me... thank you!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I think you should just go back to square one again.

Your first post in this thread showed two perfectly filled cartridges so all you have to do is repeat the same process and don’t be bothered with weighting your cartridges at all.

The 520/521 cartridges can be filled easily without the need to weight them, but I would recommend you use the orange clip on the outlet instead of the tape.