[Tool] ChromIQ – a macOS and Windows GUI for ArgyllCMS printer profiling (v4.3.0)

I’m using ChromIQ with a Chnspec CR30 to create a CMYK printer profile for PrintFab. I successfully created a 4-channel CMYK calibration .cal file, and with Preset = None ChromIQ successfully generates a 450-patch CMYK chart.
However, selecting Apply & Embed (-K) fails with:
[ERROR] ChromIQ layout engine: calibration has 4 channels, target has 3
[ERROR] Chart generation failed.
None and -I generate the chart successfully. Is this a bug in the -K implementation, or am I missing a setting required to make the target 4-channel CMYK?
Also please try this:

https://github.com/itsab1989/ChromIQ/releases/tag/v4.3.3-beta.5
 
Thank you for the Beta. I did install and try it. As you can see selecting CMYK as device type still brings up "The chart could not be built"
As before, selecting "none" in preset and CMYK in targen parameters, patch count and the other three as auto, while using -k with the calibration file does generate a chart with 450 patches.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2026-10-03 at 06.34.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2026-10-03 at 06.34.45 AM.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
This was the error I faced earlier after the chart was read and I tried building a profile.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2026-10-03 at 06.53.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2026-10-03 at 06.53.36 AM.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 9
Another issue found in Profile Build: When I try to import the measured CMYK .ti3, ChromIQ rejects it with: “No device RGB columns — only RGB charts are supported.” This is a CMYK profiling workflow, and the .ti3 contains valid CMYK_C / CMYK_M / CMYK_Y / CMYK_K device columns plus XYZ measurements. ArgyllCMS colprof supports CMYK .ti3 files, so ChromIQ’s Profile Build importer appears to be restricting the workflow to RGB and needs a CMYK path.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2026-10-03 at 07.12.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2026-10-03 at 07.12.43 AM.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 7
Working on it. Give it a few hours please.
 
ChromIQ 4.3.2

Changes to the default strip and patch patterns can cause measurement errors in measurement mode, as observed when tested with both the i1Pro2 and i1Pro3.

Using default parameters avoids this issue.

sshot-20.png
sshot-19.png
 
ChromIQ Workflow Improvement Suggestion

Measurement Phase

Regular Recalibration: When using older-generation devices such as the i1Pro1, regular recalibration is required when measuring targets with large patch sizes.

Measurement Interruption: The current measurement process requires the measurement to be stopped, after which users can either save the partial data or abort the measurement.

Suggestion: Add a dedicated Recalibration button to allow users to easily trigger recalibration during the measurement process.

Thank you :)
 
I somehow doubt that regular chartread can really do this but Claude is currently looking into it.
 
Thank you for your prompt response.

RGB Value Representation

.ti3 uses a different base from the norm. When viewing RGB values by hovering over the measured patch, I think the standard representation using a base of 256 (2⁸) is still preferable.

Thank you
 
Back
Top